User Reviews for Hydromorphone

Also known as: Dilaudid, Dilaudid-HP, Exalgo, Hydromorph Contin, Hydrostat IR, Palladone

Learn more about Hydromorphone.

Cough 1 reviews 734 medications

7.5
Summary of Hydromorphone reviews 226 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Hydromorphone

Review by nasc90: User Rating:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Good pain relief but not long lasting. Doc switched me to a new one Exalgo not bad but not as good so far in long lasting 24hr dose.

April 13, 2014 12:55 PM
Review by Jo momma: User Rating:

Dilaudid-HP (hydromorphone) for Anesthetic Adjunct: For years whenever I had surgery, minor or major, I would be very very sick afterwards as in vomiting for hours and having to be hospitalized after minor out patient procedures . An anesthesiologist figured out that Dilaudid might be the answer . Bless him for that discovery. I have not been sick since.

April 10, 2014 8:41 PM
Review by Ann-Mari (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

hydromorphone for Pain: After a radical hysterectomy associated with ovarian cancer, I was in severe pain and no other pain med was helping, so I ended up with hydromorphone. As a pain med it works very well, but there are very many severe side effects. The worst one is that it is very addictive and there is no real help . My journey became serious in that I tried to go cold turkey when my doze was down to 16 mg a day, and I became so ill I could barely walk. The doctor ordered me to take a doze, and it took another 2 months to ween off it for a total of 4 moths. Now I have been off it for 3 weeks and I still have sweat attacks 4 to 6 times in 24 hours. My mind is slowly starting to feel more normal and my body is a little less painful and "heavy".

March 26, 2014 3:42 PM
Review by jonestevem (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: I have been on this medicine now for almost 10 years now, until recently, I've only had tolerable minor side effects, sweats and itching. Besides it relieving the pain, it is great because there are only a few other meds that it had bad interactions with (and grapefruit, the grapefruit kept the pain meds from working). Unfortunately after being on it so long, my body has gotten too used to it and no longer works for me and it has started to make my feet, ankles and calves swell. I still highly recommend Dilaudid to any one. Besides the pain relief, the withdrawals from Dilaudid are not that bad to go through.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2014 6:08 AM
Review by Valencia01 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I am receiving Dilaudid through a pain pump. It's just been a month since the surgery. I was opiate tolerant at the time. I have sarcoidosis degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis. I feel so much better than I have in a long time. I'm not sleepy but I did get tingling in the lower left leg that went to my toes. I am stiff in joints but not sure if it's the arthritis or Dilaudid. I rate it at 8.5.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 28, 2014 8:17 AM
Review by Normally normal: User Rating:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: Been on it for several years for spinal condition. Never had any uncomfortable side effects from it, and it managed my pain great. Now I have been taken off Dilaudid and put on Methadone. Nausea, periodic profuse sweating along with agonizing pain is what I'm back to. I also got tired of finding doctors that were willing to prescribe it, finding a pharmacy that carried it and even if the pharmacy has them, you still have the pharmacists who decide to "play God and were not willing to fill it for you. If you are lucky enough to establish these 3. things, you're still having to deal with ignorant attitudes from people who think they know more than the orthopedic professionals that you have to see on a monthly basis.

February 24, 2014 12:31 PM
Review by David256 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I have been taking narcotics for chronic pain for about 25 years now. I started with Tylenol with codeine and have progressed through just about everything (morphine, oxycodone, Dilaudid, Oxycontin, Fentanyl patches, etc.). My pain management doctor had me on 60 mg of Oxycontin 3 X daily and it worked (somewhat) for a while until I developed a tolerance and it too became ineffective. So the doctor switched me to 16 mg. Exalgo 2 X daily. I was resistant at first, mainly because of reducing the number of doses per day but after I took it for a few days I was amazed. I don't wake up in excruciating pain anymore and, even though the effects are subtle and come on slowly, it works better in controlling my pain than anything else I've used.

February 23, 2014 5:16 PM
Review by jewwie: User Rating:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I am allergic to a lot of pain meds. This is the only medicine I can take that takes the pain away.

February 14, 2014 2:30 AM
Review by Vikcha (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: I recently had a heart attack on top of my cancer and at the hospital they gave me this medicine to help control my pain. Before I had used it I was using oxycodone, but that had never truly worked to control my pain. Dilaudid, while also not fully relieving the pain, did a much greater job. Unfortunately they would not allow me to take it at home, so now I am suffering because I know what it feels like to have my pain managed and the oxycodone just isn't enough.

February 8, 2014 1:06 PM
Review by Tom 2 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Cough: Stopped dry hacking cough, have used it once but found Drs don't write for this medicine.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 4, 2014 4:22 PM
Review by Wana be pain free: User Rating:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I have tried all of it and so far Dilaudid works best for me.

January 21, 2014 5:41 PM
Review by suziem43: User Rating:

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: My pain management doctor switched me to this medicine 2 days ago. It's a miracle. I have been on everything. I was taking Oxycontin 80mg 2 x per day along with 30mg oxycodone every 4 hrs for breakthrough pain. I felt the difference within hrs. I suffer chronic pain due to my back. I've had 5 spinal fusion surgeries.

January 4, 2014 12:25 PM
Review by Transparent911 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

hydromorphone for Chronic Pain: I took it for nerve pain on my back. Did not help at all. No side effect for me.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 21, 2013 8:04 PM
Review by Brad Johnson (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: I received it for pain following gall bladder surgery worked really well for me - I do not like codeine based products.

December 13, 2013 5:34 PM
Review by Aza111 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Excellent for migraines the best. Unlike all the other medicines. Again, doesn't make me sick like Relpax, effective unlike Imitrex. I just wish I could get it again.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 10, 2013 8:20 AM
Review by Fast Frankie (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Dilaudid-HP (hydromorphone) for Pain: Twice within a calendar year I was admitted to the ER with gastric distress, accompanied with nausea. Dilaudid was used the first time, the pain went quickly away and my nausea stopped. The second time I was given morphine, but it did not work. I asked for Dilaudid specifically. It was given. The pain and nausea went away. I was able to rest/sleep, and after a couple of hours I felt fine, and played golf the next day. For information, alcohol was involved with the first episode but not the last.

December 4, 2013 4:29 PM
Review by ROB24 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: In chronic pain, since injury in 1999. Surgery did not help. Like many I was on different narcotics for years . Started Exalgo in 2012 and have found it does work. Some say it gives 24 hr relief, but I think it more of a 16-18 hr.

December 3, 2013 2:42 PM
Review by novmber213: User Rating:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: Taking for pain in my right shoulder.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 2, 2013 6:03 AM
Review by lynikins (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Pain: It took about 3 days for me to start feeling better but this works for me. My only issue is that I can feel it wearing off about 2 hours before my next dose (I take it twice daily), I suppose that is what the IR 's are for. But overall, it works.

November 22, 2013 2:44 AM
Review by OldnBroken (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: I have had 15 surgeries for injuries sustained through sports and accidents. I also have severe migraines that started when I was 18. My Xtreme sporting life is over. I am in pain 24/7. Dr too concerned about DEA so I have no solution other than load up on Advil. It worries me now because I'm getting older and the Xtreme pain really ups my BP. If severe pain and nausea lasts 3 days, I spend the $1k for the ER trip. Although each ER Doc wants to try very weak pain meds that have not worked, if I can get a shot of Dilaudid w phenergan, it seems to break the pain cycle. Morphine may work, but I can actually feel it in my body and that scares me. Just wish I didn't have to wait until I feel I'm dying and spend $1k to get relief from this drug.

November 8, 2013 7:06 PM
Review by lbp102: User Rating:

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I have CRPS stage 3 in my left arm and left foot. I started on 16mg a day of exalgo, then up to 12 2xday, now 16 2xday for 32mg a day. I found the 2x a day was the key for this medicine since its takes a long time to start so the next dose 12 hours apart really helped. I'm just starting the 32mg a day since my crps spread to my entire left arm so I'm hoping I don't eventually get to the 32mg 2x/day.. has anyone else taken that much?

October 25, 2013 4:22 PM
Review by Jesp (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

hydromorphone for Chronic Pain: Works good for about three hours. Quite bad insomnia.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 4, 2013 7:32 AM
Review by sexcpillhead: User Rating:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: I went to the ER because I had severe pain in my right flank area and was told I had a kidney stone. I get them quite frequently now and I was given Dilaudid IV. I got the warm wonderful rush and felt very floaty and quite pleasant and I felt no pain.

September 15, 2013 10:48 PM
Review by Greta-Jane (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Dilaudid keeps me wide awake. I take 4 mg for failed back surgery. It does take the edge off, but doesn't take away 1/2 of the pain. For the life of me, I cannot understand why it keeps me wide awake. I took one pill at 4:30pm yesterday and last I looked at my clock last night, it was 4:33am.

September 14, 2013 11:52 PM
Review by chronicpain2013 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Really helps ease the breakthrough pain. I was afraid when I first started it that it wouldn't help much at all, but in truth it works better than anything else that I have been prescribed. I have had one surgery for three herniated discs of my cervical spine and now have two more that need surgery at waist level. I have been suffering, only existing. Not living for more than ten years. Dilaudid gave me back some of my life and it doesn't make me nauseous like many of the other medications that I have been on. Even though it doesn't take away all of the pain it does make it much more tolerable. Morphine made me sick and I was severely hyper sensitive to it. I am thankful for the relief Dilaudid has given me.

August 28, 2013 5:20 AM