User Reviews for Hydromorphone

Also known as: Dilaudid, Dilaudid-HP, Exalgo, Hydromorph Contin, Hydrostat IR, Palladone

Learn more about Hydromorphone.

Cough 1 reviews 747 medications

Anesthetic Adjunct 1 reviews 7 medications

7.5
Summary of Hydromorphone reviews 291 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Hydromorphone

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "My husband is in the hospital right now and they put a brand new knee in and he was doing pretty good until they gave him that drug. It was horrible for him. He was like a different person. He did not know where he was or even who we were. He was screaming for someone to call the police. I cannot imagine anyone taking that. Norco 10 is the strongest thing he can take and that is just one pill when needed. He took one dose of that and that is all....horrible experience for him."

Left knee revision (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was given 1mg IV prior to surgery. The first 30 seconds were scary, I felt warmth spreading through my body and my vision was blurry. I was instructed to close my eyes. After the initial strangeness passed, I felt no pain at all. This is powerful, but when in pain, it did the trick quickly."

Kidney Stone January 10, 2016

Hydromorph Contin (hydromorphone) for Pain: "It doesn't work for sudden acute pain at all...too slow"

old grey mare December 27, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "After having been diagnosed with a rare type of multiple sclerosis called "Malignant Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis" (also known as Marbug Variant MS) there was not much for the doctors to do for me but to put me on a cocktail of pain medications that would 'hopefully' help to keep me comfortable while in the throws of relentless chronic pain. Eventually I was given Dilaudid 8mg oral tablet to help with the pain. It eventually stopped working as good so the dosage was increased to 16mg per 4 hours. And that is what I am currently taking. Because my rare form of MS has no treatments, no medications..it's just a progressive downward spiral. I'm now fully bedridden and a spectator of life. But I'm so grateful for dilaudid! Recommend"

Grammy2014 December 5, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "This is an incredible drug - I'm 25 and living with MS. Subsequently I have terrible spasms in back that are non-stop. I've been on this drug for over three years and have absolutely no complaints. I've tried 12 other pain meds before this - all of them making me very high, nauseated or sleepy. Then comes along Dilaudid - my doctor decided to try me on it because I was having such a hard time with all of the other drugs. From the moment I took the first dose I have been pain free - without any side effects what-so-ever. Because I have been on it for so long I have become tolerant to it so I have to begin the search for a new drug. Anyone looking for a pain med - this is the route to go."

tubaguy9008 November 28, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I had abdominal surgery and after post op I was back in my room on a dilaudid iv pump. The pain management was great but had a bad side effect. It caused mt to have hallucinations. I don't know if it was to high of a dose are not, but I was seeing weird people in my room, under my bed, I saw monsters, snakes and they all were trying to get me. I was screaming and asking for help. I had to have my wife stay with me cause I could not close my eyes to sleep. I literally felt like I was in a Freddie Kruger movie. I now list this as a drug allergy when asked if I'm allergic to any medications. I never want to experience that again"

Neveragaininmylife November 20, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I received this medication on multiple occasions. Typically the situation involved me being awake for a small surgical procedure. Though this became a typical procedure that I grew used to and at times would receive with only local anesthetics, the times I had dilaudid were far better. It reduced my anxiety for the situation and didn't cause me to feel too out of it after the procedure was done (maybe about 20 minutes?)."

:) (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I am used to Percocet due to years of back pain. In the hospital after a kidney procedure I had some moderate pain that morphine IV did not impact. I got one IV of dilaudid and the pain level decreased to a very acceptable level and I went home with virtually no pain"

Anonymous October 23, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I arrived at work and started to feel pain in my back and side of the abdomen. Since I have experienced this pain before, I recognized it as a kidney stone starting the trek down the urinary tract. After about 3 hours the pain maxed out and was accompanied by nausea. A coworker took me to the ER and after about 30-45 minutes of interrogation, they finally hooked me to an IV and provided a cocktail of drugs including Dilaudid, Flomax (for urine flow) and Zofran (for nausea). Almost immediately I felt a warm feeling all over and relaxed. I was able to doze for an hour or so relatively pain free. For me the Dilaudid worked perfectly, but I didn't note the exact dosage and it was a one-time thing."

MMRedSox October 6, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was admitted yesterday 9-29-15 in mission regional hospital.. I was in pain due that I have diverticulitis... I was put in IV .. with this medication called DILAUDID.. it was horrible.. I started seeing everthing moving.. I couldn't stop vomiting.. I would try to have my eyes open but I was so dizzy.. for me this is the worst medication.. I have never felt like this with other pain killers.."

Luciana Ontiveros (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2015

Dilaudid-HP (hydromorphone) for Pain: "It was administered in the lowest dosage for post-op pain. No side effects and very effective. Motrin, Tylenol and other OTC pain relief is lacking compared to this. Morphine IMO is not even clo se to effective..I have a low tolerance for pain (distracting at the least). I have a hard time understanding why proven pain meds are so restricted when very low doses are twice as effective long term over generic, higher dose, low effect pain meds.Given a choice, this has been the best chronic pain relief I have experienced. Demerol was discontinued for inpatient use by Morphine..go figure."

Mike Nike (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2015

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "The pain management Dr prescribed morphine sulfate ( due to cost) rather than OxyContin . It was horrible. I felt loopy and sick with pain in my side . So a different Dr switched me to Exalgo SR .. What a relief! Ian finally thinking clearer . I take dilaudid for breakthrough pain and between the two , I am functioning much better. I think it is much better than OxyContin as well , because OxyContin always made me feel flushed and a bit dopey in a different kind of way. ( not as bad as morphine though) I am so glad I am getting pain relief without feel sick and doped up . I think Exalgo is a perfect match for me ."

Ps91 September 21, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "Treats both the diarrhea and chronic pain that I have from Crohn's disease. Works great."

MikeyHasCrohns September 16, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "My luck I moved to a small town, small medicine to retire.I have Bilateral failed carpal tunnel with failed double revision and now with neuropathy in my hands.Herniated bulged disc in my lower back and another herniated bulged disc in my upper neck pushing against spinal cord.I have a torn right tendon in my knee,and that if I am really lucky I get 2 hours of sleep.I have beg my Dr. for Hyaluronic Acid Injection shot, (which for some reason he won't) And now their saying I might have parkinson's. He had me on Dilaudid a few years back but it made me jumpy but I'll be asking for it again. Can you believe that he was trying to give me hydro's 10's for this? And this guy went to a top 10 School. Don't move to Wa. state."

Vader1212 September 8, 2015

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "Very good and fast working"

Who was that? (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I think it should be a law for all pharmaceuticals that has anything to do with the production of hydromorphone or any other narcotic should be required to make a medication to wean you off of these medications"

wades3pets (taken for 10 years or more) August 24, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was diagnosed with urethral stricture a couple years ago that was so bad I couldn't urinate hardly at all. I developed a bad infection that spread to my intestines and blood. I was in so much pain I was screaming. The doc at the hospital put me on 3 mg of dilaudid every 4 hrs. The next day I told him that was not quite lasting 4 hrs. He put me on a pain control pump that gave .5mg every 10 min. Plus I was still getting the 3mg every 4 hrs. This finally work amazingly well but in looking at the amount I wad actually getting it's no wonder. I didn't always hit the button every 10 min. but the nurse said I was still averaging 9-10mg every 4 hrs."

djsloo August 20, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "For breakthrough pain works well I take percodan regularly [ 4 per day] and zanaflex 2 mgs but sometimes pain goes beyond these and so i take dilaudid 4mgs These help until the next round"

grifmich August 10, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "Have had Dilaudid squirted in my IV at the hospital. Works immediately within seconds and can rid you of all kinds of awful pain. It will allow a peaceful sleep, and you will be staying in a laying down position anyway because it makes you feel so loopy. After about two hours it wears off a lot but you still feel better than you did. Also, it can slow down your bowel movements. As with any pain med, best to get along without it, but if you desperately need it sometimes then this is a huge relief."

Average Citizen (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I have been taking oxycodone for almost a year now for severe back pain. Not only did they not work, but the side effects were terrible! Really bad constipation and dry mouth so I had to get two other prescriptions for those. Back in June, I was admitted to the ER locally, and at first they gave me morphine after they figure it out that it was acute pancreatitis. Right before the ambulance came to take me down to the VA Hospital in Pittsburgh, they gave me dilaudid in the IV and within 10 minutes the pain was pretty much gone. So they continued me on it while I was in the hospital and afterwards for my back pain. It's been the only thing that has helped with both. oxycodone and morphine have no real effect on my pain."

markj99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2015

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I am a 30y/o German automotive technician, when I was 18 I was hit by a drunk driver. Broke my lower back in 2 places,my hip and knee. I was taking 40mg OC and breakthru meds every 3 hrs , I was doing decent until in 2008 I was involved in a head on collision which broke my neck in 6 places. The pain form that was worse than anything I had experienced before. My dr increased my pain med doses, we tried everything from MS Contin to Opana ER, nothing was able to keep my pain under control for long. Being an automotive tech just added to the misery. Finally Exalgo came out and now 16mg/day with 2mg instant release dilaudid for breakthrough, my pain is finally controlled and I have my life back and don't have to take pills every few hours!"

German automotive technician (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was given a dose of delaudid through IV for severe headache associated with an infection. As soon as the nurse began pushing the syringe I had a horrible taste in the back of my throat, my breathing and chest felt very heavy, my ears felt clogged and I became very sleepy. These all lasted for around 4 hours, along with extreme nausea! The nurse said "yea a lot of people don't like dilaudid it makes them feel pretty funny." Good thing I was also taking Zofran or I would have been vomiting my brains out."

Stephrco23 July 16, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I went into the ER in EXTREME pain. I mean, I was in labor for 30 hours with no help from an epidural, and this pain I was having took the cake! Turns out I had Pyelonephritis (Kidney Infection, caused by a UTI). I was in pure agony for hours... and finally once they got me back into a real room, and got the Dr in to see me, they got my IV hooked up and gave me Nausea meds, 1 Mg of Dilaudid, antibiots and toradol. It worked almost instantly! I was so relieved!! All I wanted to do was close my eyes and sleep, and I got a couple hours in before I was ok to leave the hospital. If you have ever had Stadol, the relief and feeling was VERY similar with Dilaudid, which was fine with me. Both have been the best pain relieves I've ever had."

chickenlittle71515 July 16, 2015

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "This medication has improved my quality of life!!! I feel so much better when I take this medication. My pain is down to a 3 from being a 10. Now if I can find a doctor to prescribe it for me, my life would be so much happier. Not having to suffer everyday....I wish."

Shitty (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "Does very little to deal with my pain. I have both muscle and joint pain and it deals poorly with both."

JBtheCur (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2015