Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Hydromorphone

Also known as: Dilaudid, Dilaudid-HP, Exalgo, Hydromorph Contin, Hydrostat IR, Palladone

Learn more about Hydromorphone.

Cough 1 reviews 771 medications

7.5
Summary of Hydromorphone reviews 261 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Hydromorphone

Review by CourtM (taken for less than 1 month):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: I have a Traumatic Brain Injury. I asked for Tylenol for pain and they came back with this. It worked very well. Maybe a little too well!

May 2, 2015 9:13 PM

Review by Snasam:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: Broke my arm and was given the drug. Caused respiratory distress. Was told to never take it again. I woke up and the medical staff was slapping me on the chest and screaming for me to breathe!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2015 6:17 PM

Review by New York Gal:

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I am 5'. 105 lbs and was a carpenter for 6 years . I have a bad back 2 disc replaced in neck with a plate & 6 screws which gets cold and the pain goes right down my back . Have had 15 operations . Fibromyalgia and arthritis. Tried morphine and butane patches which made me sick. I take hydrocodone 10 mg 5 X day . Which only lasts 2 to 3 hrs. Grit my teeth the rest of the time (broken a few). I started Exalgo 12 mg yesterday and I started feeling better in about 2 hrs. This is a miracle, I don't hurt! There were times I didn't think I could go on and now I have a new lease on life . I hope it continues to keep working ! Happy gal!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2015 6:37 AM

Review by Rheacy (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Dilaudid has been beneficial to my daily activities. Without Dilaudid I literally cannot move. The chronic pain from fibromyalgia is indescribable. And every case is different, but it helps me. The only side effect that I must pay close attention to is headaches.... if I already have a headache, I don't take Dilaudid. It will make it worse. Once in a while, Dilaudid will cause a headache.

April 10, 2015 9:40 AM

Review by TattedAllyCatt (taken for less than 1 month):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: Went to the ER with severe back spasms. I can handle pain pretty well, but these spasms were horrendous. I have chronic spine and hip pain, but this was much worse than normal. After the Toradol Shot and the Valium weren't working, they finally gave me the Dilaudid shot. Only took about 10 minutes and I was pain free. Of course, I only had the shot and nothing else to tide me over until the chiropractor, but it was very good stuff.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2015 12:16 AM

Review by Melissapolo (taken for less than 1 month):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: I was administered Dilauded in the ER after having suffered a copperhead bite to the ankle. They administered the antivenin and morphine with phenergan (sp?) and returned after about 10 minutes to check my pain level-- no effect. The dilauded didn't completely stop the pain, but it definitely took the edge off. This was my first expirence taking any narcotic-- so both the morphine and dilauded caused the "whoooosh" sensation, stomach dropped, body felt very heavy... But that sensation was much greater with dilauded. Shortly after getting the Dilauded I started vomiting pretty heavily-- but no way to know if that was the venom, antivenom, morphine, or dilauded. Lesson learned, don't step on a snake!

April 9, 2015 10:02 PM

Review by Wendy Sanibel:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: After years of having brain tumors,I must take pain medication daily,but for when I can't control the pain with Tylenol #3's & my other meds. I've found a medication that works for me,Dilaudid,we have found is a very good & tolerable medication. I don't like going in for the medication, but the relief I get from it helps me sleep & gets me back to maintaining my constant headaches(with the brain tumors, I'm in constant pain,but I can manage it, most of the time.). It's a wonderful medication for those of us that need it on occasion & much less foggy than Demerol to recover from! The amount varies with me because of my chronic condition,but I never need more than 2 injections,but it's a medication NOT to be played with however!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2015 10:34 AM

Review by Mark wink:

For Pain: Works great for break through

March 26, 2015 10:25 AM

Review by Jessiesteam (taken for less than 1 month):

Dilaudid-HP (hydromorphone) for Pain: Pain management is moderate. Side effects are awful. Dizzines, nausea and feeling of floating and not being present.

March 22, 2015 12:25 PM

Review by Cjk69 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: Worked for my neck pain

March 4, 2015 7:21 AM

Review by Canadienne (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Most effective opoid pain medication for me. Long story short, my spine is messed up from stem to stern: scoliosis, osteoarthritis, osteophytes, spinal stenosis etc. It all got much worse after my son was born which was when I was first put on the trial and error opoid rollercoaster. Tylenol 3 codeine quickly became ineffective, probably because I had up to this point been treating my pain with OTC medication (in Canada you can get low-dose Tylenol with codeine without a prescription) and I was put on Oxycodone (Percocet) which was an awful med: didn't last & withdrawal was hellish. Next up, Fentanyl patch, moderately effective but patch delivery was unreliable. Hydrocodone (Dilaudid) at last gave me some of my life and mobility back.

February 24, 2015 5:35 AM

Review by LungCancerStg4 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Works

February 17, 2015 8:58 PM

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: I was in the hospital for appendicitis and I was given this to help with the pain and before the entire shot was inside of me my head hit the pillow and I had instant release of pain... Greatest pain killer I've ever had

February 5, 2015 12:55 AM

Review by paulieharris (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Finally0 found a medication with little side effects

February 4, 2015 9:01 PM

Review by Jenn Claus (taken for 10 years or more):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I suffer from a very rare migraine condition called hemiplegic migraines which are neurological migraines that cause stroke like symptoms. Unlike most people, I am unable to take most medications designed for migraines since in the small print of these meds it says do not administer to those with hemiplegic migraines. I have found that Dilaudid has been a God send when I have these migraines. Just 1 shot (ratio) of 2mg of Dilaudid combined with 2mg of promethazine and it puts me into a deep enough sleep where my brain can retrigger without any rebound migraine effects. It has proven to be very successful and useful!

January 30, 2015 1:51 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Dilaudid worked great for pain without all the side effects from other pain meds, but doctors are no longer willing to prescribe them. Probably due to all the abuse and how difficult the DEA is now making things for pharmacists who fill them and doctors prescribing them.

January 29, 2015 7:25 PM

Review by pole vaulting man (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: I was prescribed this medication for breakthrough pain. It works better than the oxycodone and I rate it a 10. They would highly recommend this medication to people with severe pain to help with the breakthrough pain. This is Dilaudid which is a very effective medication post surgery.

January 29, 2015 3:30 AM

Review by Rotatorfix:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Nothing else worked except this 2mg dose without side effects. It wore off after 6 hours. Given post surgery use, but could have helped longer since everything else caused migraines.

January 27, 2015 5:11 PM

Review by Billbuoy:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: Almost instant pain relief , best I've had and I've had a lot

January 9, 2015 10:30 PM

Review by lisawooten (taken for less than 1 month):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: It really makes most of the pain go away it takes a little bit for them to work but I'm on a low dose

December 19, 2014 10:16 PM

Review by dietcokesss:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: Taking for chronic regional pain syndrome.

December 18, 2014 6:51 AM

Review by Natisly:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: When my migraine gets out of control this is the only medicine that kills it. The down side is that I have to go to the ER to get it and sometimes they give you a hard time as they think you are an addict.

December 15, 2014 6:27 PM

Review by AZ Guy (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: After a failed back surgery, my orthopedic surgeons kept telling me I %u201Cshould%u201D be walking again. I could not get out of the wheel chair I had been in for over 12 weeks without assistance. And once out of it, I could not walk without severe pain. The docs eventually found bone fragments had been pushed INTO my spine rather than being removed before bone cement was used to repair my crushed vertebrae. While they could %u201Ctry%u201D to remove them and redo the surgery, the chances of my not being able to walk, ever, were far too high to justify the risk of surgery. A brilliant pain management specialist in LA found the combination of Dilaudid and Morphine worked well for me. After starting pain medications, I was able to stand and eventually to walk again.

November 30, 2014 1:54 AM

Review by Bettysdad 1:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: Took the top edge off of the pain caused by several broken bones in my foot, which was making life pretty difficult. I was left with what I'd describe as the pain from a bad bruise, but fairly easy to deal with.

October 6, 2014 5:17 PM

Review by DrDPC (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Works great, does last 24hrs at the right dose. Give the medication time if you are switching from another pain medicine to Exalgo, for myself I was on morphine sulfate 90 mg and Oxycontin 40mg. It took almost 2 months to work @100%. I was just about to give the Exalgo up and go back to my morphine and Oxycontin but now I'm glad I waited it was worth the painful wait since I have such great pain relief. I take 48 mg of Exalgo now and 60mg of Oxycontin.

September 28, 2014 2:37 AM