Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Hydromorphone

Also known as: Dilaudid, Dilaudid-HP, Exalgo, Hydromorph Contin, Hydrostat IR, Palladone

Learn more about Hydromorphone.

Cough 1 reviews 741 medications

7.5
Summary of Hydromorphone reviews 238 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Hydromorphone

Review by Bettysdad 1:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: Took the top edge off of the pain caused by several broken bones in my foot, which was making life pretty difficult. I was left with what I'd describe as the pain from a bad bruise, but fairly easy to deal with.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 5:17 PM

Review by DrDPC (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Works great, does last 24hrs at the right dose. Give the medication time if you are switching from another pain medicine to Exalgo, for myself I was on morphine sulfate 90 mg and Oxycontin 40mg. It took almost 2 months to work @100%. I was just about to give the Exalgo up and go back to my morphine and Oxycontin but now I'm glad I waited it was worth the painful wait since I have such great pain relief. I take 48 mg of Exalgo now and 60mg of Oxycontin.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 28, 2014 2:37 AM

Review by mat7401 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I've been taking this in tablet form for failed back surgery, and CRPS in both legs up to the thigh. It doesn't relieve all the pain, but it relieves enough to get me through my day of being a full time stay-at-home single dad. I think I got better relief from the oxycodone I was on before, but it would only last 2-3 hours, whereas the Dilaudid lasts a solid 4 hours, so I get a little bit more time with my little guy where my pain is under control. Wish I could take the ER version, but due to gastric bypass, no ER tablets work on me... Can't say it's given me my life back, because I was a wind turbine technician when I became disabled, but I get enough relief to be with my son instead of on the bed in relentless agonising pain.

September 7, 2014 5:39 AM

Review by catten (taken for less than 1 month):

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Too strong

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 27, 2014 9:53 PM

Review by tbake294 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: My experience with Dilaudid is Amazing, I have Severe Chronic Pain due to an Autonomic Dysfunction called Dysautonomia, I have tried MANY MANY other pain meds. even had nerve blocks & injections but nothing worked. I would recommend Dilaudid to Anyone experiencing severe pain because it works 100% (at least for me it did but then again everyone is different)

July 11, 2014 1:28 AM

Review by Lisataylor42 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I was in an auto accident that left me in a Coma for 38 days & was told by all 5 of my orthopedic Dr's I'd NEVER STAND OR WALK AGAIN. 6 mo. Later I took my first steps! I broke both hips both femurs (thigh bones) in 2 places, shattered both tibia & fibula (shin bones) & both knees. I am titanium rods the length of the bones, wires, nails & screws. I was on 4 different pain Narcotics every 2 hrs. The ONLY ONE THAT GAVE ME RELIEF WAS THE DILAUDID! None of the oxy 's or even the 100mg Morphine phased me. Now I'm on Percocet 10-325 & 100mg Morphine. Percs just knock the edge off but gives me the energy to keep moving. I WANT MY DILAUDIDS BACK & KEEP MY PERCS FOR MY BREAKTHROUGH. THEY HELP ME LEAD A PRODUCTIVE LIFE! 2yrs on

June 23, 2014 7:31 PM

Review by Averina (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: Very pleased with the medicine. Suffered very severe pain.

June 9, 2014 11:47 PM

Review by Youngblood, Tim (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: I was given Hydromorphone through an IV for Chronic Pancreatitis after being hospitalized numerous times a month nothing worked for pain. Then one day while hospitalized they decided to give me Dilaudid in IV with Phenergan. It stopped the pain completely but it slammed my heart rate down to 30 bpm and my blood pressure down to deadly levels. They then had to pump fluids raise all my limbs above my heart for about an hr. After I got normal again I didn't feel any pain whatsoever for hours. Works great for pain.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 2, 2014 2:06 AM

Review by DOC USMC (taken for less than 1 month):

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I was a Corpsman with a 2nd Marine infantry battalion, and I was wounded in Iraq by an IED, I broke 2 vertebrae in neck, 2 in back, 5 herniated disc's, a lot of nerve damage and shrapnel. I was wounded January 8,2008 and have been on Percocet 10mg for 6 years and have had over 60 surgeries and 200 injections and physical therapy. I have had no relief from pain. I had thought about suicide because I hurt so bad. So I quit my pain dr and went to another. He looked at all my documentation of injuries and treatments. He said simply on my first day "you have paid your dues, I'm going to give you 30 12mg Exalgo ER a month with 120 oxycodone 10mg for breakthrough pain. I have only taken for 4 days the Exalgo and I feel no pain.

May 19, 2014 1:02 AM

Review by Lil' Miss Priss:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: A couple of summers ago, I got a spider bite that unfortunately developed into a full blown MRSA outbreak, which spread to multiple parts of my body! I ended up being hospitalized for 3 weeks while trying to clear up the horribly painful infection, where they gave Me extreme doses of antibiotics & Dilaudid (4mg) IV every 2 hours. Within moments of each dose, ALL the pain would fade away & I'd get incomparable relief!!! However on the opposite extreme, the tablet form of this medicine (hydromorphone) that the doctor sent Me home on, didn't even compare. I couldn't even tell after taking it, I would rate the pill form a 1!

May 12, 2014 9:53 PM

Review by Knightflyer57 (taken for less than 1 month):

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I just started on Exalgo ER 12mg's. After fooling around with Lortab AND morphine CR for years, which would only dull my pain( Shot out of the sky in Nam) as well as a major car accident, I have found or rather my fantastic neurologist decided to go with this. I have been able to sleep a full evening(8Hrs) and not wake up with a hang-over effect. I am after 26 years narcotic tolerant so I was quite skeptical about this expensive medicine. Well, I am a believer. I just pray that it will last a year or two before it becomes useless to me. An operation to repair my back only has a 80/20 chance of even helping me. 80% being the negative. If you are tired of the pill counting or a few days withdrawal which I have been through. Ask your Doc.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 5, 2014 11:22 PM

Review by RunnerJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Gained tolerance quickly on this med- maxed out dosage/ frequency and had to add additional pains meds to address pain issues. Have not had issues with dependency thankfully-

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 5, 2014 10:34 PM

Review by nasc90:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: Good pain relief but not long lasting. Doc switched me to a new one Exalgo not bad but not as good so far in long lasting 24hr dose.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2014 12:55 PM

Review by Jo momma:

Dilaudid-HP (hydromorphone) for Anesthetic Adjunct: For years whenever I had surgery, minor or major, I would be very very sick afterwards as in vomiting for hours and having to be hospitalized after minor out patient procedures . An anesthesiologist figured out that Dilaudid might be the answer . Bless him for that discovery. I have not been sick since.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2014 8:41 PM

Review by Ann-Mari (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Pain: After a radical hysterectomy associated with ovarian cancer, I was in severe pain and no other pain med was helping, so I ended up with hydromorphone. As a pain med it works very well, but there are very many severe side effects. The worst one is that it is very addictive and there is no real help . My journey became serious in that I tried to go cold turkey when my doze was down to 16 mg a day, and I became so ill I could barely walk. The doctor ordered me to take a doze, and it took another 2 months to ween off it for a total of 4 moths. Now I have been off it for 3 weeks and I still have sweat attacks 4 to 6 times in 24 hours. My mind is slowly starting to feel more normal and my body is a little less painful and "heavy".

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 26, 2014 3:42 PM

Review by jonestevem (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: I have been on this medicine now for almost 10 years now, until recently, I've only had tolerable minor side effects, sweats and itching. Besides it relieving the pain, it is great because there are only a few other meds that it had bad interactions with (and grapefruit, the grapefruit kept the pain meds from working). Unfortunately after being on it so long, my body has gotten too used to it and no longer works for me and it has started to make my feet, ankles and calves swell. I still highly recommend Dilaudid to any one. Besides the pain relief, the withdrawals from Dilaudid are not that bad to go through.

March 26, 2014 6:08 AM

Review by Valencia01 (taken for less than 1 month):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I am receiving Dilaudid through a pain pump. It's just been a month since the surgery. I was opiate tolerant at the time. I have sarcoidosis degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis. I feel so much better than I have in a long time. I'm not sleepy but I did get tingling in the lower left leg that went to my toes. I am stiff in joints but not sure if it's the arthritis or Dilaudid. I rate it at 8.5.

February 28, 2014 8:17 AM

Review by Normally normal:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: Been on it for several years for spinal condition. Never had any uncomfortable side effects from it, and it managed my pain great. Now I have been taken off Dilaudid and put on Methadone. Nausea, periodic profuse sweating along with agonizing pain is what I'm back to. I also got tired of finding doctors that were willing to prescribe it, finding a pharmacy that carried it and even if the pharmacy has them, you still have the pharmacists who decide to "play God and were not willing to fill it for you. If you are lucky enough to establish these 3. things, you're still having to deal with ignorant attitudes from people who think they know more than the orthopedic professionals that you have to see on a monthly basis.

February 24, 2014 12:31 PM

Review by David256 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I have been taking narcotics for chronic pain for about 25 years now. I started with Tylenol with codeine and have progressed through just about everything (morphine, oxycodone, Dilaudid, Oxycontin, Fentanyl patches, etc.). My pain management doctor had me on 60 mg of Oxycontin 3 X daily and it worked (somewhat) for a while until I developed a tolerance and it too became ineffective. So the doctor switched me to 16 mg. Exalgo 2 X daily. I was resistant at first, mainly because of reducing the number of doses per day but after I took it for a few days I was amazed. I don't wake up in excruciating pain anymore and, even though the effects are subtle and come on slowly, it works better in controlling my pain than anything else I've used.

February 23, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by jewwie:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I am allergic to a lot of pain meds. This is the only medicine I can take that takes the pain away.

February 14, 2014 2:30 AM

Review by Vikcha (taken for less than 1 month):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: I recently had a heart attack on top of my cancer and at the hospital they gave me this medicine to help control my pain. Before I had used it I was using oxycodone, but that had never truly worked to control my pain. Dilaudid, while also not fully relieving the pain, did a much greater job. Unfortunately they would not allow me to take it at home, so now I am suffering because I know what it feels like to have my pain managed and the oxycodone just isn't enough.

February 8, 2014 1:06 PM

Review by Tom 2 (taken for less than 1 month):

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Cough: Stopped dry hacking cough, have used it once but found Drs don't write for this medicine.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2014 4:22 PM

Review by Wana be pain free:

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: I have tried all of it and so far Dilaudid works best for me.

January 21, 2014 5:41 PM

Review by suziem43:

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: My pain management doctor switched me to this medicine 2 days ago. It's a miracle. I have been on everything. I was taking Oxycontin 80mg 2 x per day along with 30mg oxycodone every 4 hrs for breakthrough pain. I felt the difference within hrs. I suffer chronic pain due to my back. I've had 5 spinal fusion surgeries.

January 4, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by Transparent911 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: I took it for nerve pain on my back. Did not help at all. No side effect for me.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate