User Reviews for Hydromorphone

Also known as: Dilaudid, Dilaudid-HP, Exalgo, Hydromorph Contin, Hydrostat IR, Palladone

Learn more about Hydromorphone.

Cough 1 reviews 699 medications

Anesthetic Adjunct 1 reviews 7 medications

7.5
Summary of Hydromorphone reviews 272 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Hydromorphone

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I have been taking oxycodone for almost a year now for severe back pain. Not only did they not work, but the side effects were terrible! Really bad constipation and dry mouth so I had to get two other prescriptions for those. Back in June, I was admitted to the ER locally, and at first they gave me morphine after they figure it out that it was acute pancreatitis. Right before the ambulance came to take me down to the VA Hospital in Pittsburgh, they gave me dilaudid in the IV and within 10 minutes the pain was pretty much gone. So they continued me on it while I was in the hospital and afterwards for my back pain. It's been the only thing that has helped with both. oxycodone and morphine have no real effect on my pain."

markj99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2015

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I am a 30y/o German automotive technician, when I was 18 I was hit by a drunk driver. Broke my lower back in 2 places,my hip and knee. I was taking 40mg OC and breakthru meds every 3 hrs , I was doing decent until in 2008 I was involved in a head on collision which broke my neck in 6 places. The pain form that was worse than anything I had experienced before. My dr increased my pain med doses, we tried everything from MS Contin to Opana ER, nothing was able to keep my pain under control for long. Being an automotive tech just added to the misery. Finally Exalgo came out and now 16mg/day with 2mg instant release dilaudid for breakthrough, my pain is finally controlled and I have my life back and don't have to take pills every few hours!"

German automotive technician (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was given a dose of delaudid through IV for severe headache associated with an infection. As soon as the nurse began pushing the syringe I had a horrible taste in the back of my throat, my breathing and chest felt very heavy, my ears felt clogged and I became very sleepy. These all lasted for around 4 hours, along with extreme nausea! The nurse said "yea a lot of people don't like dilaudid it makes them feel pretty funny." Good thing I was also taking Zofran or I would have been vomiting my brains out."

Stephrco23 July 16, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I went into the ER in EXTREME pain. I mean, I was in labor for 30 hours with no help from an epidural, and this pain I was having took the cake! Turns out I had Pyelonephritis (Kidney Infection, caused by a UTI). I was in pure agony for hours... and finally once they got me back into a real room, and got the Dr in to see me, they got my IV hooked up and gave me Nausea meds, 1 Mg of Dilaudid, antibiots and toradol. It worked almost instantly! I was so relieved!! All I wanted to do was close my eyes and sleep, and I got a couple hours in before I was ok to leave the hospital. If you have ever had Stadol, the relief and feeling was VERY similar with Dilaudid, which was fine with me. Both have been the best pain relieves I've ever had."

chickenlittle71515 July 16, 2015

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "This medication has improved my quality of life!!! I feel so much better when I take this medication. My pain is down to a 3 from being a 10. Now if I can find a doctor to prescribe it for me, my life would be so much happier. Not having to suffer everyday....I wish."

Shitty (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "Does very little to deal with my pain. I have both muscle and joint pain and it deals poorly with both."

JBtheCur (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "Was diagnosed with three degenerative discs that have now compressed on top of each other at L-3, 4 & 5, creating horribly pinched nerves. Started off with Vicodin, which helped for awhile. In 2006 was switched to Dilaudid 2mg, then 4mg, currently taking 8mg/ 4 times daily. Wow, what a great pain killer! With the Vicodin, it dulled the pain but with the dilaudid, it's completely gone. Makes living life enjoyable again. It's great not to be in constant pain anymore!"

staz (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 4, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I received Dilaudid through IV while in ER for kidney pain. The pain relief was very fast and effective. However, I had noticeable side effects - that disorienting whoosh effect mentioned by another commenter, severe dizziness, nausea and blurred vision. When admissions asked me to sign paperwork I had significant trouble raising my arms and holding the pen, but I was able to sign my name with a great deal of concentration. Getting out of bed was very difficult when they asked for a urine sample. I needed quite a bit of assistance from the nurse to walk across the hall. All I wanted to do was lie very still and minimize the dizziness. It took about 8 hours for this effect to go away."

LHanc (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2015

Dilaudid-HP (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I have many years experience on both the patient and as care giver. Dilaudid is an excellent chronic and acute pain medication. Well tolerated and easily adjustible. All around I give it a score of 9 out of 10."

Rgk420galtx (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 3, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "Get light headeed on them"

sportmanli May 31, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was given this post breast- cyst biopsy. It has not in the least helped my severe pain. My doctor now wants me to take Dilaudid and motrin 800 hopefully I will get some relief."

JYJones (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I have a Traumatic Brain Injury. I asked for Tylenol for pain and they came back with this. It worked very well. Maybe a little too well!"

CourtM (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "Broke my arm and was given the drug. Caused respiratory distress. Was told to never take it again. I woke up and the medical staff was slapping me on the chest and screaming for me to breathe!"

Snasam April 28, 2015

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I am 5'. 105 lbs and was a carpenter for 6 years . I have a bad back 2 disc replaced in neck with a plate & 6 screws which gets cold and the pain goes right down my back . Have had 15 operations . Fibromyalgia and arthritis. Tried morphine and butane patches which made me sick. I take hydrocodone 10 mg 5 X day . Which only lasts 2 to 3 hrs. Grit my teeth the rest of the time (broken a few). I started Exalgo 12 mg yesterday and I started feeling better in about 2 hrs. This is a miracle, I don't hurt! There were times I didn't think I could go on and now I have a new lease on life . I hope it continues to keep working ! Happy gal!"

New York Gal April 28, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "Dilaudid has been beneficial to my daily activities. Without Dilaudid I literally cannot move. The chronic pain from fibromyalgia is indescribable. And every case is different, but it helps me. The only side effect that I must pay close attention to is headaches.... if I already have a headache, I don't take Dilaudid. It will make it worse. Once in a while, Dilaudid will cause a headache."

Rheacy (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "Went to the ER with severe back spasms. I can handle pain pretty well, but these spasms were horrendous. I have chronic spine and hip pain, but this was much worse than normal. After the Toradol Shot and the Valium weren't working, they finally gave me the Dilaudid shot. Only took about 10 minutes and I was pain free. Of course, I only had the shot and nothing else to tide me over until the chiropractor, but it was very good stuff."

TattedAllyCatt (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was administered Dilauded in the ER after having suffered a copperhead bite to the ankle. They administered the antivenin and morphine with phenergan (sp?) and returned after about 10 minutes to check my pain level-- no effect. The dilauded didn't completely stop the pain, but it definitely took the edge off. This was my first expirence taking any narcotic-- so both the morphine and dilauded caused the "whoooosh" sensation, stomach dropped, body felt very heavy... But that sensation was much greater with dilauded. Shortly after getting the Dilauded I started vomiting pretty heavily-- but no way to know if that was the venom, antivenom, morphine, or dilauded. Lesson learned, don't step on a snake!"

Melissapolo (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "After years of having brain tumors,I must take pain medication daily,but for when I can't control the pain with Tylenol #3's & my other meds. I've found a medication that works for me,Dilaudid,we have found is a very good & tolerable medication. I don't like going in for the medication, but the relief I get from it helps me sleep & gets me back to maintaining my constant headaches(with the brain tumors, I'm in constant pain,but I can manage it, most of the time.). It's a wonderful medication for those of us that need it on occasion & much less foggy than Demerol to recover from! The amount varies with me because of my chronic condition,but I never need more than 2 injections,but it's a medication NOT to be played with however!"

Wendy Sanibel March 30, 2015

For Pain: "Works great for break through"

Mark wink March 26, 2015

Dilaudid-HP (hydromorphone) for Pain: "Pain management is moderate. Side effects are awful. Dizzines, nausea and feeling of floating and not being present. "

Jessiesteam (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "Worked for my neck pain"

Cjk69 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "Most effective opoid pain medication for me. Long story short, my spine is messed up from stem to stern: scoliosis, osteoarthritis, osteophytes, spinal stenosis etc. It all got much worse after my son was born which was when I was first put on the trial and error opoid rollercoaster. Tylenol 3 codeine quickly became ineffective, probably because I had up to this point been treating my pain with OTC medication (in Canada you can get low-dose Tylenol with codeine without a prescription) and I was put on Oxycodone (Percocet) which was an awful med: didn't last & withdrawal was hellish. Next up, Fentanyl patch, moderately effective but patch delivery was unreliable. Hydrocodone (Dilaudid) at last gave me some of my life and mobility back."

Canadienne (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 24, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "Works"

LungCancerStg4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was in the hospital for appendicitis and I was given this to help with the pain and before the entire shot was inside of me my head hit the pillow and I had instant release of pain... Greatest pain killer I've ever had"

Anonymous February 5, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "Finally0 found a medication with little side effects"

paulieharris (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2015