14 Jun 2011
The elimination half life of prednisone is around 3 to 4 hours. This is the time it takes for your body to reduce the plasma levels by half.
It usually takes around 5.5 half lives for a drug to be completely eliminated from your system.
With that in mind you could expect a dose or prednisone to be out of your system 16.5 to 22 hours later.
Other factors also need to be taken into account and include:
1. How much and how often you have taken the drug.
2. Your metabolic rate – a slower metabolism will increase the time a drug remains in your system.
3. Your age and health – older age and poor health will generally increase the time the drug stays in your system.
4. Body mass – generally the bigger you are the longer a drug will remain in your system.
Hope this is of help.
- Prednisone Information for Consumers
- Prednisone Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Prednisone (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
How long did it take to hit your system? I have bronchitis. My main symptom is shortness of breath..Did any one else have that? I was on biaxon for 5 ...
1 answer • 29 Sep 2010
I have only taken 1, 20 mg of prednisone for strep and bronchitis... I am going out tonight... can I drink?
1 answer • 30 Oct 2010
I had a really bad reaction to them and I wanted to know how long the drug stays in my system. It's been two weeks tomorrow since I have had any ...
2 answers • 9 Dec 2010
M y husband is a Type 2 diabetic and has been on prednisone since 3/8/2013 for polymiositis starting
... at 60mg daily for 6-8 wks, the gradualy decreased over 4-6 wks to 40mg daily,30mg daily,15mg daily, then now we are on 10mg daily... prednisone ...
2 answers • 17 Jul 2013
1 answer • 15 Jul 2014