User Reviews for Prednisone

Also known as: Deltasone, Liquid Pred, Meticorten, Orasone, Prednicen-M, Prednicot, Rayos, Sterapred, Sterapred DS

Learn more about Prednisone.

Herpes Zoster 0 reviews 10 medications

Herpes Zoster Iridocyclitis 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hypercalcemia of Malignancy 0 reviews 46 medications Not rated - Be the first
Iridocyclitis 0 reviews 58 medications Not rated - Be the first
Iritis 0 reviews 67 medications Not rated - Be the first
Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis 0 reviews 113 medications Not rated - Be the first
Keratitis 0 reviews 117 medications Not rated - Be the first
Loeffler's Syndrome 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Mixed Connective Tissue Disease 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Mycosis Fungoides 0 reviews 42 medications Not rated - Be the first
Uveitis, Posterior 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Prednisone reviews 152 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Prednisone

Review by Tiger Chewing my Big Toe:

For Gouty Arthritis: I am in the middle of my first gout attack. It started during the night, waking me with an unexplainable pain. My work nurse practitioner gave me an anti-inflammatory and checked my blood. My uric acid levels were very high. After three weeks I returned to her because the pain would not subside. This vivit she gave me a 5 day 20mg/day dose of prednisone and allopurinol to lower my uric acid. My toe started feeling better within 2 hours and drastically improved during the 5 day dose. I believe she told me the uric acid crystals form in your joints and your bodies immune system starts the fight which leads to swelling and soreness. The prednisone turns the immune system down, therefore reducing the pain and swelling. It worked for me.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 1:39 PM

Review by Tenfeathers:

Rayos (prednisone) for COPD: I took a seven day 50mg dose to clear up lung congestion used with nebulizer 4 times a day mine cleared right up and felt like I had a new set of lungs , until the next flairup. It works.

March 18, 2015 9:16 PM

Review by Tricky Dicky (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Gouty Arthritis: I've found Prednisone to be an effective treatment for my Gout during acute attacks, where I take a 50mg daily dose. However, the down side is that it makes me sleepless and irritable. Colchicine seems to have little effect and I have thus far been unsuccessful in getting into a routine of taking Allupurinol - it in fact seems to bring on symptoms if anything, even with a low dose.

March 17, 2015 10:20 PM

Review by Incredible Hulk (taken for less than 1 month):

For Inflammatory Conditions: I was prescribed Prednisone for a neck injury. In the midst of stepping down the dosage as my doctor instructed, I started experiencing severe stomach pain, extreme nausea, tar-black stool, bloated stomach, and my face appears to be a little swollen (especially around the jaw line and neck). I feel like The Incredible Hulk. My doctor advised me to stop taking the Prednisone 3 days before I would have finished the prescription. Now, I am noticing increased frequency in the need to urinate and some pain in my left flank area.

February 16, 2015 8:30 AM

Review by JR Williams (taken for less than 1 month):

For Inflammatory Conditions: I was prescribed Prednisone 10mg tablets to help repair muscle damage from a neck injury. I started taking the pills on a 5 pills/day regimen for two days, 4 pills for two days, three pills for two days, then 1 pill for two days; completing the prescribed round. By day two I started experiencing severe upper stomach pain and constant nausea. My neck no longer hurts but my stomach is in bad shape.

February 11, 2015 1:07 PM

Review by Shuska (taken for less than 1 month):

For Sinusitis: Worst side effects lost all taste in my mouth and bad metalic taste in mouth couldn't think straight

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2015 12:27 PM

Review by Sandy2xs:

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: Prednisone is a great medication but be careful with it. Don't take it long periods of time. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and my doctors had me on prednisone for two years. In that time I started taking Humira which I had no more inflammation in my blood. My hips and shoulder still hurt even though I had no inflammation, my Dr. Said keep taking prednisone we'll taper it off slow. My doctor and I assumed this pain was normal arthritic pain and he never did X-rays. The pain in my hips got worse and worse. I went to the emergency room where they did X-rays, I found out I had end stage osteonecrosis (bone death) and had to have both my hips replaced 3 weeks later (second hip 6 weeks after the first).

January 30, 2015 10:09 AM

Review by Teom:

For Gouty Arthritis: I've been dealing with gout attacks for years. Throughout for some reason during the winter months, my feet really start to flare up? I've tried everything, from changing my whole diet to drinking cherry juice like its my day job. Nothing seemed to help. I went to the doctors, they prescribed me prednisone. After two hours of taking it, my ankle subsided. I went to bed, woke up feeling like a million bucks.

January 14, 2015 9:59 AM

Review by candee123 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Asthma: Every time I get a cold that aggravates my asthma I am put on a short 5 day stint of prednisone. It works really well and my lungs are usually cleared up after the 5 days. The side effects I experience are increased energy level, sweating and a sense of euphoria. All of these are manageable as it is short term.

January 1, 2015 9:02 AM

Review by It CAN be ok, really. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Inflammatory Conditions: I'd heard terrible things about prednisone and elected to not take it when it was prescribed last year for a running injury. I injured my back last week and could not move without shooting pain. I was prescribed 60mg of prednisone for 5 days as well as a muscle relaxer and hydrocodone. I was very apprehensive because I'm prone to anxiety attacks and had heard that prednisone can make you anxious. I was in enough pain I was willing to try anything and in the five days I took the prednisone I had zero side effects. None. I wasn't hungry all of the time, or emotional, or anxious. And, I felt great after two days and stopped taking the muscle relaxers and pain medication.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2014 3:45 PM

Review by emt26 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Inflammatory Conditions: Had a terrible hacking uncontrollable at times embarrassing cough for 8 weeks was put on 4 different scripts, finally after none of them worked, I was put on prednisone. I took my first dose around noon today, it's now 8pm and the cough is gone. I also have Plantar Fasciatis I'm sitting here amazed that the heel pain is totally gone and I'm able to walk pain free. I know it's benefits will be short lived with the heel pain but at this point I'll take any relief I can get.

December 21, 2014 7:16 PM

Review by Jonnyguy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Ulcerative Colitis: I'm 49 - diagnosed at 13 with Ulcerative Colitis. I've had 2 flares over the past 20 years. Both times prednisone worked for me. The most recent flare was last year...my doc was very hesitant to prescribe prednisone due to potential side effect (even though I told him I never had side effects in the past). He tried a lot of things that did nothing for me....Apriso, Uceris, were medicines I remember. After suffering for 3 months he put me on prednisone. It worked like magic within a week and a half! Like someone flicked a switch, all of my terrible symptoms disappeared. Extra energy was the only side effect!

December 19, 2014 12:20 PM

Review by Dismayed (taken for less than 1 month):

For Adrenocortical Insufficiency: I was given 1mg for low cortisol. Took it first day ok. 2nd day in absolute rage all day plus agitated and literally ready to go into a mental home. Carried on for 2.5 weeks, on last day woke up with a headache, like my head was splitting open. Saturday, so set off to hospital. Thought I don't know how to get there. Rage and the headache are side effects of prednisone. Each time I take a dose of steroids, bone spur on another joint.

December 11, 2014 9:57 AM

Review by YojStamaria:

For Gouty Arthritis: A few hours after taking this and the swelling on my feet due to gout has subsided. Colchicine, Celecoxib and Etoricoxib does not work for me this worked like a charm.

December 3, 2014 11:53 AM

Review by kyrst:

For Gouty Arthritis: Wonderful medicine for gout pain. I have been fighting gout for 7 years and I'm fairly young. My attacks have moved from the left big toe to the right big toe to the little toes now its taken my whole left side of my left foot. Colchicine and Vicodin didn't give me relief. Went back to the doctor got a steroid shot and some prednisone was walking within hours all the swelling that caused me excruciating was cleared. It's better than Indocin too me, trust me on this give it a try.

December 1, 2014 8:40 PM

Review by Kalawai:

For Gouty Arthritis: Have been getting gout on and off for over ten yrs. In the beginning 1-2 times a year now much more frequent. I would take indomethacin, and although it would make me dizzy it seemed to help acute attacks. I didn't feel ready to take a daily pill, like allopurinal or Colchicine. I finally caved in after last attack in my ankle, that lasted a month, and my Doc started me on allopurinol. It seemed to make things worse! Then a friend suggested prednisone. In 24 hrs my ankle is almost 100% better! (4 doses of 20 mgs- 80 mgs total) awesome results!

November 29, 2014 3:06 AM

Review by Christine8585:

For Allergic Reactions: I'm very allergic to certain pet dander, my eyes swell shut and itch. I also get an itchy rash on my forehead, neck, inner forearms and sides (probably I'm causing it to spread when I itch). When it gets bad I get a corticosteroid shot and prednisone. Within 24 hours all the inflammation has subsided. I would take it more often if it weren't so harmful for my body.

November 27, 2014 3:45 PM

Review by winnierenee (taken for less than 1 month):

For Fibromyalgia: I have had Fibromyalgia for twenty years. When I had a bout of poison ivy, my doctor put me on the prednisone step pack. All my pain was gone. I felt great. When I told the doctor about the results, she told me it was dangerous. My Endo told me the same thing.

November 13, 2014 9:16 AM

Review by Mr Logger (taken for less than 1 month):

For Gouty Arthritis: Been experiencing large hives on feet and hands for several years due to chronic Lyme. When first started experiencing joint pain in mid foot joint between small toe and ankle I assumed it was more of the same but did not go away in the typical 24 hrs last week. In fact it got worse over several days while traveling for work. When I got to my daughter's she made me see a doctor immediately and was diagnosed with gout. They prescribed 3-20 mg for 3 days with 1/2 tab reduction each 3 days until completing script. Pain subsided within 30 min of first day but pain did reoccur approx 18 hrs later as prednisone wore off. I took 2nd dose same results decreased inflammation and better mobility. Its been 13 hours and cannot sleep, foot feels hot.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2014 1:34 AM

Review by Sweetdart:

For Gouty Arthritis: Prednisone is amazing! I had a gouty arthritis for 8 years. My gouty arthritis starts after I had kidney stones 9 years ago. My uric acid and creatinine is very high in the blood laboratory test. Doctor prescribed me allopurinol & colchicine but when I try prednisone because it was recommended to me by a friend, it was better than colchicine. I try to intake 30mg a day after 4 days my gout was gone. I don't recommend prednisone to use it for long period of time because it lowers your immune system. Use only when you needed it, if this medicine could not cure your gout, stop immediately to avoid side effects.

November 9, 2014 7:17 AM

Review by Boggins (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cluster Headaches: Taking the medicine 60mg (reducing by 5 mg per day over 1 week) worked until the dosage got down to 40 mg, then the headaches came back and the medicine was not effective at all. I am now on my second week of the same approach from my doctor and am writing this as at 04:00. I woke up at 02:00 and have not been able to sleep since. But, only 'normal' headaches so far.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2014 11:14 PM

Review by daxton (taken for less than 1 month):

For COPD: I have COPD. Experienced an exacerbation of the condition one evening. Went to ER. Coughing, shortness of breath and difficult breathing. I was given a Nebulizer treatment with the medication Albuterol Sulfate in ER and sent home with a Nebulizer machine to do the breathing treatment 2 x daily, AM and PM. Also, given 2 Prednisone before leaving ER with prescription for 14 tabs taken at various intervals until gone. I really felt great, full of energy, but as down to last of the medicine, feeling very achy all over, rather flu like. I know it is going off the Prednisone, as have taken it before some time ago, and you just kind of "crash" when you stop.

September 15, 2014 4:08 PM

For Gouty Arthritis: I've been getting chronic gout for about 9 years. Was given Prednisone for the first time last week (50mg once a day) it seems to work fast but I found that the pain starts coming back between doses. Still find it to be working better than the usual indomethacin and colchicine. The only side effect I've noticed is trouble sleeping.

August 25, 2014 9:00 AM

Review by Working man (taken for less than 1 month):

For Inflammatory Conditions: Prednisone really surprised me as a miracle for severe pain. Previously I only knew about opiate painkillers. Reason: I suddenly couldn't walk or stand on one foot - severe throbbing pain. Hastily diagnosed as plantar fascitiis, but I didn't respond to the NSAID prescribed. Went to get a second opinion, as I'm convinced I've got a fracture. Anyhow, after *stressing* how severe my pain was, the second doctor gave me prednisone, oral tablets. My god, it's a miracle. I can walk again. And I feel like a million bucks to boot (euphoric side-effect?). I can still feel the pain slightly, but somehow the prednisone has got me to where I don't mind walking on it. I never knew that prednisone was a miracle severe pain-killer, but I know it now.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2014 6:05 PM

Review by lc2008:

For Asthma: I usually have my two big asthma attacks a year which is awful but prednisone helps a lot. I find the breathing comes back quickly but the side effects are horrible I have a count down going on for how many days left on I every time I'm on it but in the end it does miracles for me, the sweating is the worst part.

July 28, 2014 8:48 PM