Vivotif Berna Vaccine Side Effects
Generic name: typhoid vaccine, live
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 26, 2020.
Note: This document contains side effect information about typhoid vaccine, live. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Vivotif Berna Vaccine.
For the Consumer
Applies to typhoid vaccine, live: oral capsule, oral capsule delayed release
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, typhoid vaccine, live (the active ingredient contained in Vivotif Berna Vaccine) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking typhoid vaccine, live:
- Difficulty with breathing or swallowing
- itching, especially of the feet or hands
- reddening of the skin, especially around the ears
- swelling of the eyes, face, or inside of the nose
- unusual tiredness or weakness that is sudden and severe
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of typhoid vaccine, live may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Less common or rare
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to typhoid vaccine, live: oral delayed release capsule
Common (1% to 10%): Fever, influenza-like illness
Postmarketing reports: Asthenia, malaise, tiredness, shivering[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Skin rash, urticarial exanthema
Common (1% to 10%): Headache
Postmarketing reports: Arthralgia, myalgia[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Anorexia[Ref]
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. "Product Information. Vivotif Berna (typhoid vaccine, live)" Crucell Vaccine Inc, Coral Gables, FL.
More about Vivotif Berna Vaccine (typhoid vaccine, live)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: bacterial vaccines
Related treatment guides
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.