Tricitrates Side Effects
Generic name: citric acid / potassium citrate / sodium citrate
Note: This document contains side effect information about citric acid / potassium citrate / sodium citrate. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Tricitrates.
Applies to citric acid / potassium citrate / sodium citrate: oral solution, oral syrup
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 23, 2020.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of a high potassium level like a heartbeat that does not feel normal; change in thinking clearly and with logic; feeling weak, lightheaded, or dizzy; feel like passing out; numbness or tingling; or shortness of breath.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Swelling of belly.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
More about Tricitrates (citric acid / potassium citrate / sodium citrate)
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: minerals and electrolytes
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.