Sclromate Side Effects
Generic Name: morrhuate sodium
Note: This document contains side effect information about morrhuate sodium. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Sclromate.
For the Consumer
Applies to morrhuate sodium: intravenous solution
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Chest pain.
- Coughing up blood.
- Shortness of breath.
- This drug may cause tissue damage if the drug leaks from the vein. Tell your nurse if you have any redness, burning, pain, swelling, blisters, skin sores, or leaking of fluid where the drug is going into your body.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Short-term pain after use.
- Stiffness or change in skin color where the shot was given.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to morrhuate sodium: injectable solution
Cardiovascular side effects have included thrombosis, valvular incompetency, and vascular collapse.[Ref]
Local side effects have included burning at the site of injection and severe extravasation effects.[Ref]
Musculoskeletal side effects have included weakness.[Ref]
1. "Multum Information Services, Inc. Expert Review Panel"
2. "Product Information. Morrhuate Sodium (morrhuate sodium)." American Regent Laboratories Inc, Shirley, NY.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.