Cetacaine Side Effects
Generic name: benzocaine / butamben / tetracaine topical
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 11, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about benzocaine / butamben / tetracaine topical. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Cetacaine.
Applies to benzocaine / butamben / tetracaine topical: external liquid.
Serious side effects of Cetacaine
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of methemoglobinemia like a blue or gray color of the lips, nails, or skin; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; seizures; very bad dizziness or passing out; very bad headache; feeling very sleepy; feeling tired or weak; or shortness of breath. This effect is rare but may be deadly if it happens.
- Very bad irritation where this drug is used.
- Swelling where this drug is used.
Other side effects of Cetacaine
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where this drug is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
More about Cetacaine (benzocaine / butamben / tetracaine topical)
- Check interactions
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (2)
- Dosage information
- Drug class: mouth and throat products
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.