SurfaxinTreatment for Respiratory Distress Syndrome
Update: Surfaxin (lucinactant) Now FDA Approved - March 6, 2012
Discovery Labs Receives Second Approvable Letter From FDA for Surfaxin for RDS
WARRINGTON, Pa., April 5, 2006 -- Discovery Laboratories, Inc. today announced that it has received a second Approvable Letter from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for Discovery's lead product candidate, Surfaxin (lucinactant) for the prevention of Respiratory Distress Syndrome (RDS) in premature infants. Surfaxin is a precision-engineered, peptide-containing, synthetic surfactant that is designed to closely mimic the function of natural human lung surfactant and represents a potential alternative to animal-derived surfactants.
The Approvable Letter is an official notification from the FDA and contains conditions that must be satisfied by Discovery prior to obtaining final U.S. marketing approval. Specifically, the FDA is requesting certain information primarily focused on the Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC) section of the NDA. The information predominately involves the further tightening of active ingredient and drug product specifications and related controls. Consistent with previous review, the FDA does not have any clinical or statistical comments. Discovery is in the process of arranging a meeting with the FDA regarding conditions for final approval. The Company anticipates that this meeting will clarify timelines with respect to its response to the FDA.
This is the second Approvable Letter received by the Company from the FDA since the Company's NDA for Surfaxin was filed in April 2004. Our previously submitted responses to the first Approvable Letter were accepted by the FDA as a complete response in October 2005.
Robert J. Capetola, Ph.D., President and Chief Executive Officer of Discovery, commented, "Our top priority is to satisfy the FDA's requests as soon as possible, so that we can obtain final approval for this important life-saving therapy and make it available to the neonatal community. In light of today's news, we are analyzing all aspects of our business with an intention to conserve cash while remaining focused on developing our NICU franchise of Surfaxin and Aerosurf(tm)."
RDS is a life-threatening and costly breathing disorder that strikes tens of thousands of premature infants in the United States each year, with a global at-risk population in excess of 500,000 infants. Approximately 75,000 infants are treated with surfactants in the United States annually. Current surfactant treatment options are limited to animal-derived surfactants harvested from bovine (cow) and porcine (pig) sources.
Data from Discovery's pivotal, multinational SELECT study demonstrates that Surfaxin was significantly more effective in the prevention of RDS and improved survival and other outcomes versus comparator surfactants. The SELECT and STAR (a supportive Phase 3 study) trials, as well as a pooled Phase 3 analysis, have been presented at several international medical meetings and the results from the two studies were published in Pediatrics.
Source: Discovery Laboratories, Inc.
Posted: April 2006
- Discovery Labs Announces FDA Approval of Surfaxin (lucinactant) for Prevention of Respiratory Distress Syndrome - March 6, 2012
- Discovery Labs Notified of PDUFA Date for Surfaxin - October 12, 2011
- Discovery Labs Submits Surfaxin Complete Response to FDA - September 6, 2011
- Discovery Labs Provides Expanded Update Regarding Its Program for Surfaxin U.S. Marketing Authorization - February 1, 2011
- Discovery Labs Provides Update Regarding Its Program for Surfaxin U.S. Marketing Authorization - January 10, 2011
- Discovery Labs Receives FDA Guidance Regarding Preclinical Program to Gain Surfaxin Approval - June 8, 2010
- Discovery Labs Achieves Key Milestone Towards Potential Surfaxin Approval - May 19, 2010
- Discovery Labs and FDA Establish Path for Potential Surfaxin Approval - October 2, 2009
- Discovery Labs and FDA to Meet On September 29, 2009 to Discuss Potential Path for Surfaxin Approval - September 11, 2009
- Discovery Labs Reports On Surfaxin End of Review Meeting With FDA - July 2, 2009
- Discovery Labs and FDA to Meet On June 2, 2009 to Discuss Surfaxin Complete Response Letter - May 12, 2009
- FDA Establishes Target Action Date of April 17, 2009 for Potential Approval of Discovery Labs' Surfaxin - November 10, 2008
- Discovery Labs Submits Complete Response to May 2008 FDA Approvable Letter for Surfaxin for RDS - October 20, 2008
- Discovery Labs Reports Technical Achievements Towards Gaining FDA Approval of Surfaxin - September 24, 2008
- Discovery Labs Reports Progress in Responding to Surfaxin FDA Approvable Letter - August 6, 2008
- Discovery Labs and FDA Meet to Clarify Limited Items in Surfaxin Approvable Letter - June 19, 2008
- Discovery Labs and FDA to Meet On June 18, 2008 to Clarify Limited Items in Surfaxin Approvable Letter - May 29, 2008
- Discovery Labs Provides Guidance On FDA Approvable Letter for Surfaxin for RDS - May 5, 2008
- Discovery Labs Receives An Approvable Letter From FDA for Surfaxin for RDS - May 2, 2008
- Discovery Labs' Response to Surfaxin Approvable Letter Deemed Complete by FDA - November 16, 2007
- Discovery Labs Submits Response to FDA Approvable Letter for Surfaxin for RDS in Premature Infants - November 1, 2007
- Surfaxin Process Validation Batches Achieve Stability Milestone to Enable Filing of Response to FDA Approvable Letter - October 1, 2007
- Discovery Labs Provides Update On Progress for Surfaxin for RDS - August 2, 2007
- Discovery Labs and FDA Reach Clarity On Path Towards Surfaxin RDS Approval - January 22, 2007
- Discovery Labs Updates Progress On Manufacturing Remediation and Surfaxin FDA Regulatory Matters - September 28, 2006
- FDA Accepts Discovery Labs' Complete Response to Approvable Letter for Surfaxin - October 21, 2005
- Discovery Labs Provides Update on Status of Response to FDA Approvable Letter for Surfaxin - August 19, 2005
- Discovery Labs Provides Status of Previously Submitted Response to FDA Approvable Letter for Surfaxin - August 15, 2005
- Discovery Labs Submits Response to FDA Approvable Letter for Surfaxin for RDS in Premature Infants - July 29, 2005
- Discovery Labs Receives Approvable Letter from FDA for Surfaxin for Respiratory Distress Syndrome in Premature Infants - February 14, 2005
- Discovery Laboratories Announces FDA Acceptance of Surfaxin New Drug Application - June 15, 2004
- Discovery Laboratories Files New Drug Application with the FDA to Market Surfaxin for the Prevention of Respiratory Distress Syndrome in Premature Infants - April 14, 2004