PixuvriTreatment for non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
CTI Provides Update on FDA Advisory Committee Meeting on Pixantrone for the Treatment of Relapsed or Refractory Aggressive Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
GAITHERSBURG, Md., March 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Cell Therapeutics, Inc. ("CTI") (Nasdaq and MTA: CTIC) announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's (the "FDA") Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee ("ODAC") panel voted unanimously that clinical trial data was not adequate to support approval of pixantrone for patients with relapsed or refractory aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma ("NHL"). Currently, there are no approved drugs for patients with relapsed or refractory aggressive NHL that have received two or more prior therapies. Pixantrone would be the first drug approved by the FDA for this indication. The FDA is not bound by the recommendations of its advisory committee and the agency is expected to make a decision whether to approve pixantrone for this use by April 23, 2010.
"We continue to believe that pixantrone should be considered as a treatment option for patients with relapsed/refractory aggressive NHL. There is a significant medical need to bring safe and effective therapies to this very sick patient population," said James A. Bianco, M.D., CEO of CTI. "We are committed to working closely with the FDA to address the committee's comments as quickly as we can."
Pixantrone (BBR 2778), is a novel topoisomerase II inhibitor with an aza-anthracenedione molecular structure that differentiates it from the anthracyclines and other related chemotherapy agents. Anthracyclines are the cornerstone therapeutic for the treatment of lymphoma, leukemia, and breast cancer. Although they are sufficiently effective to be used as first-line (initial) treatment, they cause cumulative heart damage that may result in congestive heart failure many years later. As a result, there is a lifetime limit of anthracycline doses and most patients who previously have been treated with an anthracycline are not able to receive further anthracycline treatment if their disease returns. It also can be administered through a peripheral vein rather than a central implanted catheter as required for other drugs in this class.
About Cell Therapeutics, Inc.
Headquartered in Seattle, CTI is a biopharmaceutical company committed to developing an integrated portfolio of oncology products aimed at making cancer more treatable. For additional information, please visit www.CellTherapeutics.com.
Sign up for email alerts and get RSS feeds at our Web site, http://www.celltherapeutics.com/investors_alert
This press release includes forward-looking statements that involve a number of risks and uncertainties, the outcome of which could materially and/or adversely affect actual future results and the trading price of CTI's securities. Specifically, the risks and uncertainties that could affect the development of pixantrone include risks associated with preclinical and clinical developments in the biopharmaceutical industry in general, and with pixantrone in particular, including, without limitation, the potential failure of pixantrone to prove safe and effective for the treatment of relapsed or refractory, aggressive NHL as determined by the FDA, CTI's ability to continue to raise capital as needed to fund its operations, competitive factors, technological developments, costs of developing, producing and selling pixantrone, and the risk factors listed or described from time to time in CTI's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission including, without limitation, CTI's most recent filings on Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K. Except as may be required by law, CTI does not intend to update or alter its forward-looking statements whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
Source: Cell Therapeutics, Inc.
CONTACT: Media, Dan Eramian, +1-206-272-4343, cell, +1-206-854-1200, email@example.com, or Investors, Ed Bell, +1-206-272-4345, or Lindsey Jesch Logan, +1-206-272-4347, firstname.lastname@example.org, all of Cell Therapeutics, Inc., fax, +1-206-272-4434
Web Site: http://www.celltherapeutics.com/
Posted: March 2010
- Cell Therapeutics Withdraws New Drug Application for Pixuvri and Plans to Resubmit in 2012 - January 30, 2012
- FDA's Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee to Review Resubmitted Pixantrone New Drug Application on February 9, 2012 - January 3, 2012
- FDA Sets April 24, 2012 as PDUFA Goal Date for Cell Therapeutics' Resubmitted Pixantrone New Drug Application - December 6, 2011
- Cell Therapeutics Resubmits Pixantrone NDA to FDA for Consideration of Accelerated Approval - October 25, 2011
- Cell Therapeutics Completes Type A Meeting With FDA's Division of Oncology Drug Products: Guidance Provided for Resubmission of Pixantrone NDA for Consideration of Accelerated Approval - June 14, 2011
- FDA Sets Meeting Date in Early June to Discuss Re-submission of Pixantrone NDA for Accelerated Approval - May 20, 2011
- Cell Therapeutics to Re-submit Pixantrone NDA in Consideration for Accelerated Approval in Accordance with Guidance from FDA's Office of New Drugs - May 3, 2011
- Cell Therapeutics Files Appeal on FDA Decision on New Drug Application (NDA) for Pixantrone to Treat Relapsed/Refractory Aggressive Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - December 3, 2010
- Cell Therapeutics to Appeal FDA Decision on New Drug Application (NDA) for Pixantrone to Treat Relapsed/Refractory Aggressive Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - September 14, 2010
- CTI Receives Complete Response Letter from the FDA for Pixantrone NDA; CTI to File for Expanded Access for Patients With Relapsed or Refractory Aggressive Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma - April 9, 2010
- FDA Sets March 22 for ODAC Meeting to Review CTI's New Drug Application for Pixantrone - March 2, 2010
- FDA Postpones Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee Meeting to Review Pixantrone Due to Severe Weather Conditions - February 9, 2010
- Cell Therapeutics Announces FDA's Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee to Review Pixantrone for the Treatment of Relapsed/Refractory Aggressive Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, February 10, 2010 - December 17, 2009
- FDA Sets Action Date of April 23, 2010 for Review of Pixantrone NDA - September 6, 2009
- FDA Accepts to File Cell Therapeutics' New Drug Application for Pixantrone - August 26, 2009
- Cell Therapeutics Completes Pixantrone NDA Submission and Requests Priority Review - June 24, 2009
- Cell Therapeutics Initiating Rolling NDA Submission For Pixantrone - April 14, 2009