Dakins Full Strength Solution
Generic Name: sodium hypochlorite topical (SOE dee um HYE poe KLOR ite)
Brand Name: Anasept, Anasept Cleanser, Dakins Full Strength Solution, Di-Dak-Sol, Hysept
What is Dakins Full Strength Solution (sodium hypochlorite topical)?
Sodium hypochlorite topical is an antibiotic that fights bacteria.
Sodium hypochlorite topical is used to treat or prevent infections caused by cuts or abrasions, skin ulcers, pressure ulcers, diabetic foot ulcers, or surgery.
Sodium hypochlorite topical may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is the most important information I should know about Dakins Full Strength Solution (sodium hypochlorite topical)?
You should not use sodium hypochlorite topical if you are sensitive to chlorine products (such as bleach).
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using Dakins Full Strength Solution (sodium hypochlorite topical)?
You should not use sodium hypochlorite topical if you are allergic to it, or if you are sensitive to chlorine products (such as bleach).
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether sodium hypochlorite topical will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant.
It is not known whether sodium hypochlorite topical passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I use Dakins Full Strength Solution (sodium hypochlorite topical)?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not use this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Apply or pour this medicine over the affected skin area.
To treat a skin wound or ulcer, apply sodium hypochlorite topical by pouring it over the wound. You may also soak a piece of gauze dressing and apply the gauze to the wound. Follow your doctor's directions about how long to leave the gauze in place over the wound.
You can apply petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to the skin around the skin wound or affected area, to keep the medicine from getting onto healthy skin.
Store at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light. Do not freeze. Keep the bottle tightly closed when not in use.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Apply the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
An overdose of sodium hypochlorite topical is not expected to be dangerous. Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222 if anyone has accidentally swallowed the medication.
What should I avoid while using Dakins Full Strength Solution (sodium hypochlorite topical)?
Avoid getting this medicine on your clothing or bed linens. Sodium hypochlorite topical may bleach colored fabric.
Dakins Full Strength Solution (sodium hypochlorite topical) side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using sodium hypochlorite topical and call your doctor at once if you have:
severe redness or irritation of treated skin;
no improvement in your skin condition; or
new or worsening pain or swelling.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What other drugs will affect Dakins Full Strength Solution (sodium hypochlorite topical)?
It is not likely that other drugs you take orally or inject will have an effect on topically applied sodium hypochlorite. But many drugs can interact with each other. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
More about Dakins Full Strength Solution (sodium hypochlorite topical)
- Side Effects
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antiseptic and germicides
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about sodium hypochlorite topical.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 1.01.
Date modified: November 15, 2017
Last reviewed: June 26, 2014