How long does Plavix stay in the body once I stop taking it. How much Plavix is too much?
How long does Plavix stay in the body once I stop taking it?
Plavix is estimated to be cleared from your body in about 33 hours.
- A single, oral dose of Plavix (clopidogrel) 75 mg has a half-life of approximately 6 hours.
- It takes 5.5 x half-life of a medicine for a drug to leave the body, therefore most of the Plavix should be eliminated from your system in 5.5 x 6 = 33 hours.
Elimination times are an estimate and can vary due to patient-specific variables and drug-specific variables including:
- How much and how often you have taken the drug.
- Your metabolic rate – a slower metabolism will increase the time a drug remains in your system.
- Your age and health issues – older age and poor health may increase the time the drug says in your system.
- Body mass.
- Drug formulation, way of administration, pharmacokinetics, volume of distribution etc.
How much Plavix is too much?
- The recommended daily dose of Plavix is 75 milligrams once a day.
- For the first dose you may receive a one-off dose of 300mg, this is called a loading dose. Once you have had the loading dose, the recommended dose that is taken is 75mg Plavix per day.
- For some medical conditions the one-off loading dose may be increased up to 600mg.
Related medical questions
- Plavix Information for Consumers
- Plavix Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Plavix (detailed)
Related support groups
- Plavix (63 questions, 201 members)