Polyethylene Glycol 6000
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 13, 2019.
What is it?
Polyethylene glycol, referred to as PEG, is used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry as a solvent, plasticizer, surfactant, ointments and suppository base, and tablet and capsule lubricant. PEG has low toxicity with systemic absorption less than 0.5%.
PEGylation occurs when PEGs are attached to various protein medications, allowing for greater solubility for certain drugs. Examples of PEGylated medications include PEG-interferon alpha (Pegintron) and PEG-filgrastim (Neulasta). PEG is also available as a bowel prep for colonoscopy procedures and as a laxative.
PEG 400 indicates the average molecular weight of the specific PEG at 400. PEG 3350 is a laxative available over-the-counter by the name of Miralax. In this case, PEG is considered an "active" ingredient, even though systemic absorption is less than 0.5%.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Acetaminophen and Tramadol Hydrochloride 325 mg / 37.5 mg
- Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 500 mg / 125 mg
- Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg / 125 mg
- Chlorpromazine Hydrochloride 25 mg
- Clopidogrel Bisulfate 75 mg (base)
- Donepezil Hydrochloride 5 mg
- Donepezil Hydrochloride 10 mg
- Escitalopram Oxalate 10 mg
- Escitalopram Oxalate 20 mg
- Famciclovir 500 mg
- Lansoprazole Delayed-Release 15 mg
- Levetiracetam 1000 mg
- Losartan Potassium 25 mg
- Metformin Hydrochloride 500 mg
- Metoprolol Succinate Extended-Release 25 mg
- Metoprolol Succinate Extended-Release 100 mg
- Metoprolol Succinate Extended-Release 50 mg
- Montelukast Sodium 10 mg (base)
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 20 mg
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 10 mg