Polyethylene Glycol 6000
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Polyethylene glycol, referred to as PEG, is used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry as a solvent, plasticizer, surfactant, ointments and suppository base, and tablet and capsule lubricant. PEG has low toxicity with systemic absorption less than 0.5%.
PEGylation occurs when PEGs are attached to various protein medications, allowing for greater solubility for certain drugs. Examples of PEGylated medications include PEG-interferon alpha (Pegintron) and PEG-filgrastim (Neulasta). PEG is also available as a bowel prep for colonoscopy procedures and as a laxative.
PEG 400 indicates the average molecular weight of the specific PEG at 400. PEG 3350 is a laxative available over-the-counter by the name of Miralax. In this case, PEG is considered an "active" ingredient, even though systemic absorption is less than 0.5%.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Top Medications with this excipient
- Acetaminophen and Tramadol Hydrochloride 325 mg / 37.5 mg ()
- Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg / 125 mg ()
- Bisoprolol Fumarate 10 mg ()
- Clopidogrel Bisulfate 75 mg (base) ()
- Desloratadine 5 mg ()
- Lansoprazole Delayed-Release 15 mg ()
- Levetiracetam Extended Release 500 mg ()
- Metformin Hydrochloride 500 mg ()
- Metformin Hydrochloride 1000 mg ()
- Metformin Hydrochloride and Pioglitazone Hydrochloride 500 mg / 15 mg (base) ()
- Metoprolol Succinate Extended-Release 200 mg ()
- Metoprolol Succinate Extended-Release 100 mg ()
- Mirtazapine 15 mg ()
- Morphine Sulfate Extended Release 30 mg ()
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 20 mg ()
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 10 mg ()
- Risperidone 0.5 mg ()
- Trospium Chloride 20 mg ()
- Ursodiol 500 mg ()
- Valacyclovir Hydrochloride 1 gram ()