Polyethylene Glycol 6000
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Polyethylene glycol, referred to as PEG, is used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry as a solvent, plasticizer, surfactant, ointments and suppository base, and tablet and capsule lubricant. PEG has low toxicity with systemic absorption less than 0.5%.
PEGylation occurs when PEGs are attached to various protein medications, allowing for greater solubility for certain drugs. Examples of PEGylated medications include PEG-interferon alpha (Pegintron) and PEG-filgrastim (Neulasta). PEG is also available as a bowel prep for colonoscopy procedures and as a laxative.
PEG 400 indicates the average molecular weight of the specific PEG at 400. PEG 3350 is a laxative available over-the-counter by the name of Miralax. In this case, PEG is considered an "active" ingredient, even though systemic absorption is less than 0.5%.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Acetaminophen and Tramadol Hydrochloride 325 mg / 37.5 mg
- Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg / 125 mg
- Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 500 mg / 125 mg
- Bisoprolol Fumarate 10 mg
- Clopidogrel Bisulfate 75 mg (base)
- Desvenlafaxine Extended-Release 50 mg
- Doxycycline Monohydrate 100 mg
- Hydrochlorothiazide and Moexipril Hydrochloride 12.5 mg / 15 mg
- Lansoprazole Delayed-Release 30 mg
- Levofloxacin 250 mg
- Levofloxacin 500 mg
- Metformin Hydrochloride 500 mg
- Metformin Hydrochloride and Pioglitazone Hydrochloride 850 mg / 15 mg (base)
- Methylphenidate Hydrochloride Extended-Release (LA) 40 mg
- Mirtazapine 15 mg
- Ondansetron Hydrochloride 8 mg
- Pantoprazole Sodium Delayed Release 20 mg
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 20 mg
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 10 mg
- Trospium Chloride 20 mg