Ethylcellulose (100 MPa.s)
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 7, 2020.
What is it?
Ethylcellulose is a free-flowing, white to light tan powder used in the pharmaceutical and food manufacturing industries. It is prepared from wood pulp or cotton by treatment with alkali and ethylation of the alkali cellulose with ethyl chloride. Ethylcellulose is used in pharmaceutical industry as a coating agent, flavoring fixative, tablet binder and filler, and as a viscosity-increasing agent. Ethyl cellulose is also used in the food industry as an emulsifier. 
There is very limited data detailing possible side effects of ethylcellulose; however it is included in the FDA generally regarded as safe (GRAS) Database of Substances (SCOGS) Reviews.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
 Food and Agriculture Organization of the United States. Prepared at the 26th JECFA (1982), published in FNP 25 ( 1982) and FNP. 52 (1992). Accessed March 31, 2012. Ethylcellulose. http://www.fao.org/ag/agn/jecfa-additives/specs/Monograph1/Additive-178.pdf
 FDA’s SCOGS database; Ethylcellulose; SCOGS-Report Number: 25; http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fcn/fcnDetailNavigation.cfm?rpt=scogsListing&id=365 Accessed March 31, http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fcn/fcnDetailNavigation.cfm?rpt=scogsListing&id=119
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Aplenzin 348 mg
- Aplenzin 522 mg
- Carbamazepine 200 mg
- Clarinex-D 24 Hour 5 mg / 240 mg
- Dextroamphetamine Sulfate Extended Release 10 mg
- Effexor XR 75 mg
- Hydromorphone Hydrochloride Extended-Release 12 mg
- Hydromorphone Hydrochloride Extended-Release 8 mg
- Hydromorphone Hydrochloride Extended-Release 32 mg
- Lamictal ODT 100 mg
- Micro-K 8 mEq
- Micro-K 10 10 mEq
- Potassium Chloride Extended Release 8 mEq (600mg)
- Quetiapine Fumarate Extended-Release 50 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate Extended-Release 200 mg
- Tramadol Hydrochloride Extended Release 100 mg
- Tramadol Hydrochloride Extended Release 200 mg
- Tramadol Hydrochloride Extended Release 300 mg
- Venlafaxine hydrochloride extended-release 75 mg
- Venlafaxine Hydrochloride Extended-Release 150 mg