Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 20, 2018.
What is it?
Carrageenan is a gelatinous polysaccharide that is prepared by aqueous extraction from specific red seaweeds (marine algae). Traditionally, carrageenan has been produced by extracting the carrageenan (from one of eight red seaweeds listed in the regulation) and filtering the extract to remove cellulose and other substances, according to the FDA. Carrageenan has been determined to be safe as a food additive by the FDA, although some concern exists about its safety in infant formula; Europe authorities do not allow carrageenen in infant formulas. Carrageenan may be found in a variety of foods, cosmetics, pharmaceutical products and dietary supplements. In pharmaceuticals carrageenan is used as an inactive excipient in tablet production. It is often used as a thickening agent in products like gelatin, and for vegans is often considered a substitute for animal-based gelatins.
 Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21, Volume 3, Revised as of April 1, 2013. CITE: 21CFR172.620. Accessed 1/14/2014. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfCFR/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=172.620
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Aricept ODT 10 mg
- Bonisara Multiple Vitamins with Fluoride 1 mg
- Bromocriptine Mesylate 5 mg
- Dexilant 30 mg
- Donepezil Hydrochloride (Orally Disintegrating) 10 mg
- Dutasteride and Tamsulosin Hydrochloride 0.5 mg / 0.4 mg
- Jalyn 0.5 mg / 0.4 mg
- Olanzapine 10 mg
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 20 mg
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 40 mg
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 10 mg
- Omeprazole Magnesium Delayed-Release 20 mg (base)
- Propoxyphene Hydrochloride 65 mg
- Rayaldee 30 mcg
- TriStart One Prenatal Multivitamins with Folic Acid 1 mg
- Zenpep pancrelipase (15,000 units lipase, 51,000 units protease, 82,000 units amylase)
- Zenpep pancrelipase (20,000 units lipase, 63,000 units protease, 84,000 units amylase)
- Zenpep pancrelipase (10,000 units lipase, 34,000 units protease, 55,000 units amylase)
- Zenpep pancrelipase (3,000 units lipase, 10,000 units protease, 14,000 units amylase)
- Zenpep pancrelipase (3,000 units lipase, 10,000 units protease, 16,000 units amylase)