Carbomer Homopolymer Type B
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 28, 2022.
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Carbomer is a high molecular weight polymer compound used commonly in the cosmetic industry. These compounds can absorb large amounts of water, increasing in volume up to 1,000 times to form gels and thick solutions that are stable and resistant to spoilage. When not in solution, they carbomers exist as a white powder. Best known for its use in the cosmetic industry, it also has practical applications in medicine and hygiene. Different numbers of carbomers denote their different molecular size. Carbomers are considered to be generally regarded as safe by the FDA, although high concentrations may lead to eye and skin irritation. Carbomers are commonly found in toothpaste and gels, shampoo, skin lotions, and some lubricant eye drops.
Top medications with this excipient
- Alfuzosin Hydrochloride Extended Release 10 mg
- Biaxin 250 mg
- Diethylpropion Hydrochloride Extended-Release 75 mg
- Etodolac ER 600 mg
- Etodolac ER 500 mg
- Etodolac ER 400 mg
- Guaifenesin Extended Release 600 mg
- Guaifenesin Extended Release 1200 mg
- Macrobid 100 mg
- Mucinex 600 mg
- Mucinex D guaifenesin 600 mg / pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 60 mg
- Mucinex D Maximum Strength 1200 mg / 120 mg
- Mucinex DM dextromethorphan hydrobromide 30 mg / guaifenesin 600 mg
- Mucinex DM Maximum Strength 60 mg / 1200 mg
- Mucinex Maximum Strength 1200 mg
- Nitrofurantoin (Monohydrate/Macrocrystals) 100 mg
- UR N-C hyoscyamine 0.12 mg / methenamine 81.6 mg / methylene blue 10.8 mg / phenyl salicylate 36.2 mg / sodium phosphate monobasic 40.8 mg
- Urin D/S hyoscyamine 0.12 mg / methenamine 81.6 mg / methylene blue 10.8 mg /phenyl salicylate 36.2 mg / sodium biphosphate 40.8 mg
- Patient.co.uk. Carbomer liquid eye gels. Accessed 1/14/2104. http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/carbomer-liquid-eye-gels
- What is a Carbomer? http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-a-carbomer.htm
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.