Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Ammonia (NH3) is a gaseous compound with a distinctive, sharp and pungent odor. Aromatic ammonia spirit is used in medicine to prevent or treat fainting when this pungent smell is passed quickly under the nose. Short or longer-term inhalation of larger quantities may result in irritation of eyes and nose with sore throat, cough, chest tightness, headache, confusion, asthma or wheezing. Ingestion, or exposure to the eye or skin may result in severe burns. Ammonia is not considered to be carcinogenic or mutagenic.
When the gas is dissolved in water it produces a liquid-gas ammonia which is a weak base. Ammonia is a corrosive and toxic chemical that is used in industry for a multitude of processes, including the production of pharmaceuticals. Ammonia is used in the manufacture of nitric acid, soda ash, dyes, and for medications such as sulfa drugs, vitamins and cosmetics. Ammonia is also found in nature as a by-product of the decay process.
Ammonia is a component of the radioactive diagnostic agent Ammonia N 13 Injection. It is indicated for diagnostic Positron Emission Tomography (PET) imaging of the myocardium under rest or pharmacologic stress conditions to evaluate myocardial perfusion in patients with suspected or existing coronary artery disease.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Amoxicillin Trihydrate 500 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Cephalexin Monohydrate 500 mg (Ascend Laboratories, LLC)
- Cometriq 20 mg (Exelixis, Inc.)
- Diltiazem Hydrochloride Extended-Release (CD) 120 mg (Actavis)
- Fluoxetine Hydrochloride 20 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Fluoxetine Hydrochloride 10 mg (Pliva Inc.)
- Gabapentin 400 mg (Apotex Corp.)
- Omeprazole 20 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 20 mg (Kremers Urban)
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 20 mg (Apotex Corp.)
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 40 mg (Kremers Urban)
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 40 mg (Apotex Corp.)
- Pantoprazole Sodium Delayed-Release 40 mg (Aurobindo Pharma Limited)
- Phentermine Hydrochloride 30 mg (Lannett Company, Inc.)
- Prazosin Hydrochloride 1 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Tamsulosin Hydrochloride 0.4 mg (Aurobindo Pharma Limited)
- Terazosin Hydrochloride 2 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Tetracycline Hydrochloride 500 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Valacyclovir Hydrochloride 500 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Valacyclovir Hydrochloride 1 gram (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)