Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 6, 2023.
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Acacia, also known as gum Arabic, is used in the pharmaceutical industry as an emulsifier, stabilizing agent, suspending agent, tablet binder, and viscosity-increasing agent.
Acacia is the dried gummy exudation from Acacia senegal and other species of Acacia (family Leguminosae), prepared as a mucilage and syrup. It is also used in the cooking industry to give body and texture to processed foods.  
List of medications using Acacia
- Bisacodyl 5 mg
- Bisacodyl Delayed Release 5 mg
- Bupropion Hydrochloride Extended-Release (SR) 150 mg
- Bupropion Hydrochloride Extended-Release (SR) 100 mg
- Diclofenac Sodium Extended-Release 100 mg
- Dicyclomine Hydrochloride 20 mg
- Diurex Ultra caffeine (anhydrous) 100 mg
- Gentle Laxative bisacodyl 5 mg
- Hyland's Calms Forte (Homeopathic) Avena Sativa, Chamomilla, Humulus Lupulus, Passiflora, Biochemic Phosphates
- Hyland's Leg Cramps (Homeopathic) Cinchona Officinalis, Viscum Album, Gnaphalium Polycephalum, Rhus Toxicodendron, Aconitum Napellus, Ledum Palustre, Magnesia Phosphorica
- Ibuprofen and Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride 200 mg / 30 mg
- Junel 1/20 ethinyl estradiol 0.02 mg / norethindrone 1 mg
- Metformin Hydrochloride 1000 mg
- Metformin Hydrochloride 500 mg
- Prenatal Plus Low Iron
- Sennosides 25 mg
- Synthroid 88 mcg (0.088 mg)
- Unithroid 25 mcg (0.025 mg)
- Unithroid 100 mcg (0.1 mg)
- Unithroid 150 mcg (0.15 mg)
- Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
- Acacia Gum Information. Drugs.com; MedFacts Natural Products. Updated October 4, 2011. Accessed October 24, 2011. http://www.drugs.com/zyrtec.html.http://www.drugs.com/npp/acacia-gum.html
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.