Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 14, 2018.
What is it?
Acacia, also known as gum Arabic, is used in the pharmaceutical industry as an emulsifier, stabilizing agent, suspending agent, tablet binder, and viscosity-increasing agent.
Acacia is the dried gummy exudation from Acacia senegal and other species of Acacia (family Leguminosae), prepared as a mucilage and syrup. It is also used in the cooking industry to give body and texture to processed foods.  
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Aspirin and Extended-Release Dipyridamole 25 mg / 200 mg
- Bisacodyl 5 mg
- Bisacodyl Delayed Release 5 mg
- Bupropion Hydrochloride Extended-Release (SR) 150 mg
- Charlotte 24 Fe ethinyl estradiol 20 mcg / norethindrone acetate 1 mg
- Chlorpromazine Hydrochloride 25 mg
- Chlorpromazine Hydrochloride 100 mg
- Chlorpromazine Hydrochloride 50 mg
- FerraPlus 90 vitamin B complex with C, folic acid, iron and docusate
- Hyland's Leg Cramps (Homeopathic) Cinchona Officinalis, Viscum Album, Gnaphalium Polycephalum, Rhus Toxicodendron, Aconitum Napellus, Ledum Palustre, Magnesia Phosphorica
- Junel Fe 1/20 ferrous fumarate 75 mg
- Microgestin 1.5/30 ethinyl estradiol 0.03 mg / norethindrone 1.5 mg
- Norpramin 100 mg
- Peganone 250 mg
- Pepcid Complete (Mint) famotidine 10 mg / calcium carbonate 800 mg / magnesium hydroxide 165 mg
- Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride 30 mg
- Synthroid 175 mcg (0.175 mg)
- Thrivite 19 Multiple Vitamins with Iron, Minerals and Docusate
- TL G-Fol OS calcium carbonate 500 mg / folic acid 1.1 mg / multivitamins and minerals
- Trinatal GT prenatal multivitamins with folic acid 1 mg and docusate