Poly-Tussin (chlorcyclizine / codeine) and Alcohol/Food Interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food/lifestyle interaction with Poly-Tussin (chlorcyclizine / codeine):
Moderate Food Interaction
Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.
GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may potentiate some of the pharmacologic effects of CNS-active agents. Use in combination may result in additive central nervous system depression and/or impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills.
MANAGEMENT: Patients receiving CNS-active agents should be warned of this interaction and advised to avoid or limit consumption of alcohol. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.
- Warrington SJ, Ankier SI, Turner P "Evaluation of possible interactions between ethanol and trazodone or amitriptyline." Neuropsychobiology 15 (1986): 31-7
- Gilman AG, Rall TW, Nies AS, Taylor P, eds. "Goodman and Gilman's the Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 8th ed." New York, NY: Pergamon Press Inc. (1990):
- "Product Information. Fycompa (perampanel)." Eisai Inc, Teaneck, NJ.
- "Product Information. Rexulti (brexpiprazole)." Otsuka American Pharmaceuticals Inc, Rockville, MD.
Poly-Tussin (chlorcyclizine / codeine) drug interactions
There are 499 drug interactions with Poly-Tussin (chlorcyclizine / codeine)
Poly-Tussin (chlorcyclizine / codeine) disease interactions
There are 21 disease interactions with Poly-Tussin (chlorcyclizine / codeine) which include:
- impaired GI motility
- infectious diarrhea
- liver disease
- acute alcohol intoxication
- drug dependence
- gastrointestinal obstruction
- intracranial pressure
- respiratory depression
- anticholinergic effects
- renal/liver disease
- adrenal insufficiency
- biliary spasm
- renal dysfunction
- seizure disorders
- urinary retention
More about Poly-Tussin (chlorcyclizine / codeine)
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No interaction information available.|
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.