Maeng Da Red Powder and Capsules by Club 13: Recall - Possible Contamination With Salmonella
ISSUE: Club 13 is recalling
- 15-gram, 30-gram, 90-gram, 150-gram, and 454-gram pouches, and all bulk orders of "Maeng Da Red" kratom powder, lot # MRMD012618
- 5-count, 25-count, 50-count, 100-count, 120-count capsule, and all bulk capsule orders of “Maeng Da Red” kratom bottles, marked with the following lot numbers on the bottom left side: MRMD013018, MRMD013118, MRMD020118, MRMD020518, MRMD022318, MRMD022718, MRMD030118, MRMD030218, and MRMD030618.
- 5-count, 20-count, 25-count, 40-count, 50-count capsule “Maeng Da Red XS” kratom bottles, marked with the following lots numbers on the bottom left side: KRXS020718, KRXS030618, KRXS102417, KRXS110617, and KRXS120117
These products have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
BACKGROUND: The recalled pouches and bottles of Kratom Maeng Da Red were distributed nationwide in retail stores and through mail orders. The potential for contamination was noted after testing by the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture. The department detected the presence of Salmonella in a 30g and 90g package of “Maeng Da Red”.
RECOMMENDATION: Consumers who have purchased the aforementioned Maeng Da Red products are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-877-922-5783, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9:15 AM to 5:30 PM Eastern Standard Time.
Healthcare professionals and patients are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:
- Complete and submit the report Online: www.fda.gov/MedWatch/report
- Download form or call 1-800-332-1088 to request a reporting form, then complete and return to the address on the pre-addressed form, or submit by fax to 1-800-FDA-0178
[04/05/2018 - Press Release - Club 13]