Generic name: Nusinersen 2.4mg in 1mL
Dosage form: injection, solution
Drug class: Miscellaneous uncategorized agents
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 24, 2023.
SPINRAZA is administered intrathecally by, or under the direction of, healthcare professionals experienced in performing lumbar punctures.
The recommended dosage is 12 mg (5 mL) per administration.
Initiate SPINRAZA treatment with 4 loading doses. The first three loading doses should be administered at 14-day intervals. The 4th loading dose should be administered 30 days after the 3rd dose. A maintenance dose should be administered once every 4 months thereafter.
Missed Loading Dose
If a loading dose (any of the 4 loading doses) is missed, administer the missed loading dose as soon as possible; adjust the date for the subsequent doses to maintain the recommended interval between doses.
Missed Maintenance Dose
Less than 8 months from last dose
Administer the missed maintenance dose as soon as possible; then administer the next maintenance dose per the originally scheduled date, as long as these two doses are administered at least 14 days apart.
At least 8 months but less than 16 months from last dose
Administer the missed maintenance dose as soon as possible, followed by one additional dose 14 days later, and then administer the next maintenance dose 4 months thereafter.
At least 16 months but less than 40 months from last dose
Administer the missed maintenance dose as soon as possible, followed by two additional doses 14 days apart, and then administer the next maintenance dose 4 months thereafter.
At least 40 months from last dose
Restart dosing as described in Recommended Dosage.
Important Preparation and Administration Instructions
SPINRAZA is for intrathecal use only.
Prepare and use SPINRAZA according to the following steps using aseptic technique. Each vial is intended for single dose only.
- Store SPINRAZA in the carton in a refrigerator until time of use.
- Allow the SPINRAZA vial to warm to room temperature (25° C/77° F) prior to administration. Do not use external heat sources.
- Inspect the SPINRAZA vial for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration. Do not administer SPINRAZA if visible particulates are observed or if the liquid in the vial is discolored. The use of external filters is not required.
- Withdraw 12 mg (5 mL) of SPINRAZA from the single-dose vial into a syringe and discard unused contents of the vial.
- Administer SPINRAZA within 4 hours of removal from vial.
- Consider sedation as indicated by the clinical condition of the patient.
- Consider ultrasound or other imaging techniques to guide intrathecal administration of SPINRAZA, particularly in younger patients.
- Prior to administration, remove 5 mL of cerebrospinal fluid.
- Administer SPINRAZA as an intrathecal bolus injection over 1 to 3 minutes using a spinal anesthesia needle [see Dosage and Administration (2.1)]. Do not administer SPINRAZA in areas of the skin where there are signs of infection or inflammation [see Adverse Reactions (6.3)].
Laboratory Testing and Monitoring to Assess Safety
Conduct the following laboratory tests at baseline and prior to each dose of SPINRAZA and as clinically needed [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1, 5.2)]:
- Platelet count
- Prothrombin time; activated partial thromboplastin time
- Quantitative spot urine protein testing
Frequently asked questions
- Zolgensma vs Spinraza: What are the key differences?
- Evrysdi vs Spinraza: How do they compare?
- How is Spinraza administered?
More about Spinraza (nusinersen)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Drug images
- Side effects
- During pregnancy
- FDA approval history
- Drug class: miscellaneous uncategorized agents
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.