Generic name: Nusinersen 2.4mg in 1mL
Dosage form: injection, solution
Medically reviewed on December 14, 2017.
SPINRAZA is administered intrathecally by, or under the direction of, healthcare professionals experienced in performing lumbar punctures.
The recommended dosage is 12 mg (5 mL) per administration.
Initiate SPINRAZA treatment with 4 loading doses. The first three loading doses should be administered at 14-day intervals. The 4th loading dose should be administered 30 days after the 3rd dose. A maintenance dose should be administered once every 4 months thereafter.
Important Preparation and Administration Instructions
SPINRAZA is for intrathecal use only.
Prepare and use SPINRAZA according to the following steps using aseptic technique. Each vial is intended for single dose only.
- Store SPINRAZA in the carton in a refrigerator until time of use.
- Allow the SPINRAZA vial to warm to room temperature (25° C/77° F) prior to administration. Do not use external heat sources.
- Inspect the SPINRAZA vial for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration. Do not administer SPINRAZA if visible particulates are observed or if the liquid in the vial is discolored.
- Withdraw 12 mg (5 mL) of SPINRAZA from the single-dose vial into a syringe and discard unused contents of the vial.
- Administer SPINRAZA within 4 hours of removal from vial.
- Consider sedation as indicated by the clinical condition of the patient.
- Consider ultrasound or other imaging techniques to guide intrathecal administration of SPINRAZA, particularly in younger patients.
- Prior to administration, remove 5 mL of cerebrospinal fluid.
- Administer SPINRAZA as an intrathecal bolus injection over 1 to 3 minutes using a spinal anesthesia needle [see Dosage and Administration (2.1)]. Do not administer SPINRAZA in areas of the skin where there are signs of infection or inflammation [see Adverse Reactions (6.3)].
Laboratory Testing and Monitoring to Assess Safety
- Platelet count
- Prothrombin time; activated partial thromboplastin time
- Quantitative spot urine protein testing
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Spinraza (nusinersen)
- Spinraza Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews
- Drug class: miscellaneous uncategorized agents