User Reviews for Elavil to treat Fibromyalgia

Elavil has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 21 ratings for the treatment of Fibromyalgia. 24% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 24% reported a negative effect.

Elavil Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Elavil

Yikes! September 30, 2013

“I have only been taking Elavil for two weeks but I've been in pain for twenty years, I also have big problems sleeping and staying asleep. Since I started Elavil I have less pain plus I sleep well. I actually had a no pain day which I have not had in a long time.”

Shelle518 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 26, 2014

“While it doesn't take away all the pain it has helped with the tiredness and the feeling that I was wearing a lead suit. I still have bad days but so far I am pleased with this medication. It has helped me more than any other medication that I have tried.”

Anonymous October 19, 2010

“I have had great success with this medicine. It is meant to help you achieve sleep levels 3 and 4. It is meant to make you drowsy. Take it at night a couple of hours before you want to fall asleep. Poor sleep is a big problem with fibromyalgia. I have had fibro for 20 years. I still work full time, retail 56 hours a week. Yea it's tough some days. You have to keep moving.”

ewhynot October 15, 2011

“Elavil has been a life-saver for me. I have fibromyalgia and SAD. My ability to sleep through the night with Elavil has been amazing. Previously I would wake up too early and not be able to sleep until it was time to get up. I was a wreck and thought I'd have to give up my job because I couldn't function on 4-5 hours of sleep. I find that I need 15 mg in winter months and only 10 with longer daylight days. ”

JenofJax · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2016

“I was prescribed Elavil by my Rheumatologist and have been on it for 10 days. He prescribed a dose of 25mg but I am super sensitive to Meds and have only been taking 12.5mg. Let me just start by saying I have been on everything from Zoloft to Lyrica for depression and Fibro. I have had negative experiences with most of them. I was skeptical to even try Elavil after reading some user reviews but decided to give it a try. So far I have noticed that I have more energy and don't feel like I am in a fog.Other side effects I've noticed:1. Dry mouth 2. Weird dreams 3. Tired in am but more energy later on.4. Upper back pain in the A.M. This concerns me. 5.More social 6.No pain relief for Fibro. If anything I am more aware of it.Jury still out :/”

Anonymous November 2, 2010

“I started taking Elavil at the onset of my Fibromyalgia in 1997, had great sleep and was able to continue my work and study without pain. In early 2010 I read the side effects of the medicine and recognized what was happening to me. I had been falling for no reason, broke an ankle, lumbar vertebrate, thumb and many bruises. I had dry mouth so bad could hardly talk, could not remember my words I wanted to say, and lost all sex drive. I slowly removed myself off of the Elavil with the help of my doctor. I have had lots of pain since February 2010 and cannot find a medicine to help me with my sleep and pain, but I will not use Elavil again. I have not fallen, lost my memory or had any other side effects of this medicine since.”

Jims May 29, 2019

“Taking Elavil pills at bed time around 10 to 11pm. First pill made me sleep for two days. 2nd pill less tired but slept all day. 3rd pill slept all day. 4th to 7th pill less tired but no relief of pain, actually an increase of pain in lower back and tightness in shoulders and neck. Not sure If I'll take anymore! Other meds being used: Tizanidine, Armodafinil, Basaglar - long acting insulin (other diabetic meds make me sick) -lower back pain -muscle tightness -sweating - increased hot flashes -(I wish) fruit-like breath odor -increased hunger -loss of consciousness - lack of concentration, find myself just drifting off watching shows. I usually have a busy mind, even with brain fog, I usually have a show on while doing 2-3 other things. I have a high IQ and like to use it, but with this med it dumbs me down significantly.”

Anonymous April 4, 2011

“This medicine is a major player in my fibromyalgia. It helps me sleep through the night, because it reduces the pain at night. I went off it for a week and I never slept more then 2 hours continuously for that week. I give this medicine a thumbs up for that reason. It doesn't help at all for the pain I have ALL DAY. ”

kjg6 May 28, 2009

“This medicine did not help my fibromyalgia at all. I had Doctor after Doctor ask me to take it as I searched for answers and relief. I finally had to stand up for myself and refuse to take it because it has such a strong effect on me. I felt like a zombie each time I tried it. This is regardless of how small the dose was. The medicine did nothing to ease my pain or any of my other fibromyalgia symptoms. ”

Jennypaigeandfam September 11, 2015

“I haven't started this drug yet, but am suppose to today, I'm scared to take it from reading everyone's reviews cause I'm a tired person and have IBS so any change can make me really sleepy or feel sick, I'm really sleepy. I'm 31 with 2 kids. I don't want to be more tired or feel like a zombie cause half the time I do anyways. I'm crying cause I'm so scared to take this drug cause the side effects seem so much and those side effects always affect me. I will try it so my doctor can't hound me about taking it. I really don't wanna lose my thoughts cause I have a bad memory as is. But what can you do when you have to be a lab rat for your doctor, not happy!”

Jasper07 January 17, 2011

“I was just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, was beginning to feel like I am losing my mind. I am 29 yrs old and some days can barely walk I hurt so bad. I have been on Elavil for headaches 10 mg is all I can handle as it knocks me out. It helps to prevent the headaches but I hurt so bad still. Thankful to be rid of headaches but wish the doctor would help!”

barbie anne September 7, 2009

“I started on Elavil about 15 yrs ago for fibromyalgia. It brought me a lot of relief at first but it stopped working for me. I still take it but the doctor wants me to take a lessor mg. I was up to 100mg but now I am down to 20mg. She said that the Elavil made my heart beat really fast. It can also make your blood sugar go up or down.”

red65 May 25, 2010

“I first started out at 50mg of Elavil almost 2 years ago. It was like instant heaven! I am a horrible insomniac and with Elavil I was getting good quality sleep and woke up feeling rested. I was also on Lyrica at the time. For a while both of them together had me feeling a lot better. Unfortunately I have a very high tolerance to any medicine. I am now at 150mg Elavil. I can't imagine going any higher yet my pain is increasing so I don't know what will happen when I totally max out at this level. I no longer take Lyrica as I became tolerant. Savella seems to help with fibromyalgia fog but it doesn't touch my pain. Give it a try. ”

amauriaalex October 19, 2009

“I started on 25 mg of Elavil for 1 month and recently increased to 50mg. The Elavil has worked well to some extent. I didn't have very many side effects and I am hoping that it will continue to give me positive results.”

Zaneygirl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 30, 2013

“I was diagnosed 14 yrs ago with Fibromyalgia. My doctor prescribed Elavil.10 mg. per day. It helped me sleep better but heart began beating to fast and was discontinued. Helped a little with pain.”

Anonymous June 19, 2009

“I have been on 100mg for 1 year now. Works great for sleep and pain. Downfall, I have gained 50lbs.”

Megcait · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 24, 2014

“Take at night, and once I fall asleep, it helps. Doesn't stop the pain/discomfort of trying to get comfortable to fall asleep.”

Anonymous April 18, 2011

“Helps well with my anxiety as well!”

Minders8 January 9, 2013

“Helped me fall asleep, but I didn't stay asleep so it had no real impact in helping my pain.”

Danvic · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 24, 2014

“Works great”

mikeal May 1, 2009

“I have just started to use Elavil - this is my third day of taking this medication and I already feel a little better.”

Anonymous January 30, 2010

“I turned into a total zombie on this. Literally could not get out of bed! Doctors throw this at you when you first get diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. ”

Anonymous May 25, 2009

“Started with 25mg in 1987, increased to 100mg recently. Overall not that much different than the others, gained a lot of weight as with Neurontin, but it did help sleep and mood issues.”

Learn more about Fibromyalgia