This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Refractive Errors Of The Eye
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Refractive errors of the eye, or errors of refraction (EOR) are common eye disorders. These disorders happen when there is a problem with how your eye bends and focuses light. EOR are caused by abnormal shape and texture of your eye.
Follow up with your healthcare provider or eye specialist as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Care for your vision:
- Get regular eye exams: Get your eyes checked at least once a year.
- Eat healthy foods: Fresh fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamins A and C may help with your vision. Foods such as sweet potatoes, apricots, and carrots are rich in nutrients good for the eyes.
- Take care of your contacts or glasses: Store, clean, and use your contacts or glasses as directed. Replace your glasses or contact lenses as often as your eye specialist suggests.
- Decrease eye strain: Rest your eyes, especially after you read or sew for long periods of time. Get plenty of sleep at night. Use lights that reduce glare in your home, school, or workplace.
Contact your healthcare provider or eye specialist if:
- You have changes in your eyesight.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Return to the emergency department if:
- You have a headache that does not go away, even after treatment.
- You have a sudden loss of vision.
© 2018 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.