This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Pterygium is a growth over a section of your eye that slowly appears over time. It often grows on the inner edge of your eye between your pupil and your nose. It may also grow on the outer edge of your eye, between your pupil and the side of your face. Pterygium may affect one or both eyes.
Surgery may cause swelling, irritation, or infection. Your eyesight may also not be as sharp as before. Your pterygium may grow back after surgery. Without treatment, your symptoms such as swelling or burning may become worse. A pterygium that grows too large can affect your vision.
The following medicines may be ordered for you:
- Lubricating eye drops help moisten and soothe your eyes.
- Steroidal eye drops help reduce swelling and irritation.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him of her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your ophthalmologist as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
- Wear UV-protectant sunglasses or eyewear to shield your eyes from dust, wind, and sunlight. This will also protect your eyes from bright reflections on water or snow.
- Use lubricating eye drops to help soothe and moisten your eyes.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat to help shield your eyes from the sun.
Contact your ophthalmologist if:
- Your eyes are more irritated or watery than usual.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition.
Return to the emergency department if:
- You have severe eye pain that does not go away.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.