This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Psychological Abuse Of The Elderly
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Psychological or emotional abuse occurs when a carer causes you emotional pain or stress. A carer may be a family member or a person that is responsible for taking caring of you. The carer may insult, threaten, humiliate, or harass you through words or actions. He may also ignore you or isolate you from family members, friends, or your daily activities. Your rights may be ignored, limited, or taken from you even if you can think and act for yourself. Psychological abuse can happen in your own home, the carer's home, or a facility, such as a nursing home.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Rest when you feel it is needed. Tell your healthcare provider if you have trouble sleeping.
Psychological abuse may cause you to feel scared, depressed, or anxious. Your healthcare provider may suggest that you see a counselor to talk about how you are feeling.
- Report psychological abuse: It may be hard to report psychological abuse, but it is very important. Healthcare providers can help you if you are at risk for or are a victim of psychological abuse.
- Go to follow-up visits: Your healthcare provider may talk to you, your family, friends, or those who should be held responsible for psychological abuse. This includes what may happen if psychological abuse does not stop.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have problems sleeping.
- You cannot get to your next office visit.
- You have new signs and symptoms.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Return to the emergency department if:
- You feel like hurting yourself or someone else.
- You feel that you cannot cope with your condition or your recovery from it.
- You have shortness of breath, chest pain, or a fast heartbeat.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.