This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Your healthcare provider did not find a reason for your symptoms today. You may need to follow up with your healthcare provider or a specialist. He will work with you to try to find the cause of your symptoms. He may also run tests to find out more about your overall health.
Follow up with your healthcare provider or a specialist as directed:
Tell your healthcare provider about your symptoms. You may be given a complete physical exam and health checkup. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Maintain a healthy lifestyle:
Healthy foods and regular physical activity can improve your health. They also decrease your risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes.
- Get 30 minutes of activity every day most days of the week. Ask your healthcare provider which activities are best for you. You can do 30 minutes at once or spread your activity throughout the day to get the recommended amount.
- Eat a variety of healthy foods. Healthy foods include whole-grain breads, low-fat dairy products, beans, lean meats, and fish. Eat fruits and vegetables every day, especially those that are green, orange, and red.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Ask your healthcare provider how much you should weigh. Ask him to help you create a weight loss plan if you are overweight.
- Limit alcohol. Women should limit alcohol to 1 drink a day. Men should limit alcohol to 2 drinks a day. A drink of alcohol is 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1½ ounces of liquor.
Do not smoke:
If you smoke, it is never too late to quit. You lower your risk for many health problems if you quit. Ask your healthcare provider for information if you need help quitting.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- Your symptoms get worse, or you have new symptoms that bother you.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
- Your illness makes it difficult to follow a healthy diet.
Return to the emergency department if:
- You have trouble breathing.
- You have chest pain.
- You feel lightheaded or faint.
© 2017 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.