This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Melanosis coli is a condition that causes tissues in your colon to become darker. The tissues are normally pink. The color change happens after you use certain laxatives for several years to help you have a bowel movement. The change is found during a routine colonoscopy used to check for cancer. It is important to prevent constipation so you will not need to use laxatives to help you have a bowel movement.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have been taking large amounts of laxatives for many years and need help to stop.
- You have constipation that does not get better or gets worse.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Your colon may start to depend on laxatives if you have used laxatives for a long time. The following can help prevent constipation so you will not need to use laxatives to have a bowel movement:
- Drink liquids as directed. Adults should drink between 9 and 13 eight-ounce cups of liquid every day. Ask your healthcare provider which liquids to drink and how much to drink each day.
- Eat high-fiber foods. This may help decrease constipation by adding bulk to your bowel movements. High-fiber foods include fruit, vegetables, whole-grain breads and cereals, and beans. Your healthcare provider or dietitian can help you create a high-fiber meal plan.
- Exercise regularly. Regular physical activity can help stimulate your intestines. Ask which exercises are best for you.
- Schedule a time each day to have a bowel movement. This may help train your body to have regular bowel movements. Bend forward while you are on the toilet to help move the bowel movement out. Sit on the toilet for at least 10 minutes, even if you do not have a bowel movement.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.