Skip to main content

Cyanide Poisoning

Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 4, 2024.

What is cyanide poisoning?

Cyanide poisoning is a condition that develops when you inhale, touch, or swallow cyanide. Cyanide is a poisonous chemical gas that prevents your body from absorbing oxygen. The lack of oxygen can damage your organs and be life-threatening.

Where is cyanide found?

What are the signs and symptoms of cyanide poisoning?

What should I do if I am exposed to cyanide?

Seek medical care right away, even if you are not sure you were exposed.

How is cyanide poisoning diagnosed?

Blood tests will be done to check your organ function and oxygen level.

How is cyanide poisoning treated?

Treatment options

The following list of medications are in some way related to or used in the treatment of this condition.

View more treatment options

When should I seek immediate care or call 911?

Care Agreement

You have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your healthcare providers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.

© Copyright Merative 2023 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes.

Learn more about Cyanide Poisoning

Treatment options

Further information

Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.