This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Clear Liquid Diet
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
A clear liquid diet is made up of clear liquids and foods that are liquid at room temperature. The clear liquid diet provides liquids, sugar, salt, and some nutrients until you can eat solid food. The clear liquid diet does not provide all the nutrients, vitamins, minerals, or calories that your body needs. Your healthcare provider will tell you when you can start to eat regular foods.
Liquids and foods to include:
- Clear juices (such as apple, cranberry, or grape), strained citrus juices or fruit punch
- Coffee or tea (without cream or milk)
- Clear sports drinks or soft drinks, such as ginger ale, lemon-lime soda, or club soda (no cola or root beer)
- Clear broth, bouillon, or consommé
- Plain popsicles (no popsicles with pureed fruit or fiber)
- Hard candy
- Flavored gelatin without fruit
Liquids and foods to avoid:
- All solid foods, such as bread, pasta, fruit, vegetables, dairy, and protein foods
- Beverages containing alcohol
- Dairy products, such as milk, hot cocoa, buttermilk, and cream
- Fruit smoothies, nectars, fruit juices with pulp, and prune juice
- Tomato and vegetable juices
- Soups that contain vegetables, noodles, rice, or meat
Sample menu for a clear liquid diet:
- Breakfast: 1 cup of juice, ¾ cup of clear broth, ½ cup of lemon gelatin, and 1 cup of coffee with sugar
- Morning snack: 1 cup of a clear sports drink
- Lunch: ½ cup of juice, ¾ cup of clear broth, ¾ cup of lemon-lime soda, and 1 popsicle (equals about 2 ounces of liquid)
- Afternoon snack: 1 popsicle
- Evening meal: ½ cup of juice, ¾ cup of clear broth, ¾ cup of ginger ale, ½ cup of flavored gelatin, and 1 cup of herbal tea with honey or sugar
- Evening snack: 1 cup of flavored gelatin
The clear liquid diet does not provide all the nutrients you need. You may need to drink a nutrition supplement if you have to follow this diet for more than 3 days. If you do not follow this diet, you may continue to have diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting if you were asked to follow this diet because of these problems.
© 2017 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.