Generic Name: ketoconazole (KEE-toe-KON-a-zole)
Brand Name: Xolegel
Xolegel gel is used for:
Treating a skin condition called seborrheic dermatitis.
Xolegel gel is an antifungal agent. It works by killing the fungus causing the skin condition.
Do NOT use Xolegel gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Xolegel gel
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Xolegel gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with Xolegel gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a weakened immune system, liver problems, or the blood disease porphyria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Xolegel gel. Because little, if any, of Xolegel gel is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Xolegel gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Xolegel gel:
Use Xolegel gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Xolegel gel. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Wash your hands before and immediately after using Xolegel gel.
- Spread a thin layer of Xolegel gel onto the affected area with the tips of your fingers. Gently rub it in. Be sure to cover the entire affected area and the healthy skin around it.
- Do not touch your eyes or nose while you are applying Xolegel gel.
- Wait for at least 20 minutes after you apply Xolegel gel before you apply makeup or sunscreen.
- Do not wash the area where you applied Xolegel gel for at least 3 hours after you apply it.
- If you miss a dose of Xolegel gel, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Xolegel gel.
Important safety information:
- Xolegel gel is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in your eyes, rinse at once with cool tap water. Do not get Xolegel gel in your vagina.
- Do not use Xolegel gel for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Xolegel gel is flammable. Do not store or use near an open flame. Do not smoke during or right after use of Xolegel gel.
- Xolegel gel should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Xolegel gel while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Xolegel gel, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Xolegel gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild burning at the application site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blisters, irritation, pain, redness, or severe burning at the application site.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Xolegel gel:
Store Xolegel gel at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do NOT store near an open flame. Keep Xolegel gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Xolegel gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Xolegel gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Xolegel gel or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Xolegel gel. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Xolegel gel. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Xolegel gel.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Xolegel (ketoconazole topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 7 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical antifungals