Generic Name: Voretigene Neparvovec-rzyl (voe RET i jeen ne PAR voe vek)
Brand Name: Luxturna
Medically reviewed on July 4, 2018
Uses of Voretigene Neparvovec-rzyl:
- It is used to treat certain eye problems.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Voretigene Neparvovec-rzyl?
- If you have an allergy to voretigene neparvovec-rzyl or any part of voretigene neparvovec-rzyl.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If your child is younger than 12 months old. Do not give voretigene neparvovec-rzyl to a child younger than 12 months old.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take voretigene neparvovec-rzyl with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Voretigene Neparvovec-rzyl?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take voretigene neparvovec-rzyl. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Use care when driving or doing other tasks that call for clear eyesight.
- Long-lasting change in eyesight may happen with voretigene neparvovec-rzyl. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- Have your eye pressure and eyesight checked as you have been told by the doctor.
- You will need to avoid air travel, travel to high areas, or scuba diving for some time after getting voretigene neparvovec-rzyl. Your doctor will tell you when you can do these things.
- This medicine may make cataracts worse or may raise the chance of new cataracts. Talk with the doctor.
- After getting voretigene neparvovec-rzyl, tears may have voretigene neparvovec-rzyl in them. You will need to take special care when handling and throwing away used dressings and other cleaning supplies with tears and nose discharge on them for 7 days after getting voretigene neparvovec-rzyl. Throw them away in household waste in a sealed bag. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using voretigene neparvovec-rzyl while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Voretigene Neparvovec-rzyl) best taken?
Use voretigene neparvovec-rzyl as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot into the eye.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad infections or other eye problems can happen inside the eye. These could lead to loss of eyesight. Call your doctor right away if you have a change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation. Call your doctor right away if you see any new floaters or flashes of light.
What are some other side effects of Voretigene Neparvovec-rzyl?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Eye irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Voretigene Neparvovec-rzyl?
- If you need to store voretigene neparvovec-rzyl at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about voretigene neparvovec-rzyl, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about voretigene neparvovec ophthalmic
- Voretigene neparvovec ophthalmic Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- 0 Reviews
- Drug class: miscellaneous ophthalmic agents
Other brands: Luxturna