Skip to main content


Generic name: Iodinated I 131 Albumin (EYE oh di nay ted eye won thur tee won al BYOO min)
Brand name: Megatope, Volumex
Drug class: Diagnostic radiopharmaceuticals

Medically reviewed by Last updated on August 28, 2021.

Uses of Volumex:

  • Volumex is used as a diagnostic test.

What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE being administered Volumex?

  • If you are allergic to Volumex (iodinated I 131 albumin); any part of Volumex (iodinated I 131 albumin); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
  • If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed after receiving Volumex (iodinated I 131 albumin) for as long as your doctor has told you.

Volumex may interact with other drugs or health problems.

Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Volumex (iodinated I 131 albumin) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.

What are some things I need to know or do after being administered Volumex?

  • Tell all of your health care providers that you have received Volumex (iodinated I 131 albumin). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
  • Volumex is radioactive. You will need to follow what the doctor has told you to lessen being exposed to Volumex (iodinated I 131 albumin).
  • Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Volumex (iodinated I 131 albumin) while you are pregnant.

How is Volumex used?

Volumex (iodinated I 131 albumin) is administered by a health professional. Read all information given to you.

  • Volumex is given as a shot (injection) into a vein.
  • A drug to protect the thyroid gland will be given to you. Take it as you have been told. If this is not done, the chance of thyroid cancer later in life may be raised. Talk with your doctor.

What do I do if I miss a dose?

What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?

WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:

  • Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
  • Fever.
  • Very bad headache.

What are some other side effects of Volumex?

All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.

These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.

You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at

If OVERDOSE is suspected:

It is unlikely you will be given an overdose as this medicine is administered in a hospital setting. If you think there has been an overdose, the health professionals who administered it will take appropriate action.

How do I store and/or throw out Volumex?

  • In the unlikely event you need to store Volumex (iodinated I 131 albumin) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.

Consumer information use

  • If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
  • If you have any questions about Volumex (iodinated I 131 albumin), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.

More about Volumex (iodinated i 131 albumin)

Professional resources

Further information

Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.