Generic Name: hydroxyzine (hye-DROX-i-zeen)
Brand Name: Vistaril
Vistaril suspension is used for:
Treating anxiety, causing sedation before and after general anesthesia, and treating itching due to certain allergic conditions, including hives and contact dermatitis (eg, poison ivy). It also may be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Vistaril suspension is an antihistamine. It works by affecting the brain to reduce anxiety. It also has other activities, including opening breathing tubes, relieving pain or allergy symptoms, and preventing or treating nausea and vomiting caused by motion sickness.
Do NOT use Vistaril suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vistaril suspension
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
- you are in your first 3 months of pregnancy
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vistaril suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vistaril suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have asthma, glaucoma, difficulty urinating, a urinary or intestinal blockage, a prostate disease, or a blood disease
- if you drink alcoholic beverages
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vistaril suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) because side effects, such as an increase in sleep duration and slowed breathing, may occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vistaril suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vistaril suspension:
Use Vistaril suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Vistaril suspension by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Vistaril suspension and you are using it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for you next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vistaril suspension.
Important safety information:
- Vistaril suspension may cause drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Vistaril suspension with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or using medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Vistaril suspension; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- The effectiveness of Vistaril suspension as anxiety treatment for longer than 4 months is not known.
- Use Vistaril suspension with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Vistaril suspension should not be used in NEWBORNS; safety and effectiveness in newborns have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use Vistaril suspension if you are in your first 3 months of pregnancy. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Vistaril suspension.
Possible side effects of Vistaril suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Drowsiness; dry mouth.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); involuntary movements.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include unusual drowsiness or dizziness.Proper storage of Vistaril suspension:
Store Vistaril suspension at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vistaril suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vistaril suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vistaril suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Vistaril suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Vistaril (hydroxyzine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 134 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: antihistamines