Generic Name: Silver Nitrate Sticks (SIL ver NYE trate)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 17, 2020.
Uses of Silver Nitrate Sticks:
- It is used to get rid of warts.
- It is used to treat skin ulcers.
- It is used to treat mouth sores.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Silver Nitrate Sticks?
- If you have an allergy to silver nitrate or any other part of this medicine (silver nitrate sticks).
- If you are allergic to this medicine (silver nitrate sticks); any part of this medicine (silver nitrate sticks); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have broken skin or open wounds where the drug will be used.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (silver nitrate sticks).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (silver nitrate sticks) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Silver Nitrate Sticks?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (silver nitrate sticks). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Protect clothing and fabrics from staining.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If this medicine (silver nitrate sticks) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Silver Nitrate Sticks) best taken?
Use this medicine (silver nitrate sticks) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Your doctor will put on.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- This medicine will be given on an as needed basis in a healthcare setting.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Silver Nitrate Sticks?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Change in color of skin.
- Irritation where this medicine (silver nitrate sticks) is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Silver Nitrate Sticks?
- If you need to store this medicine (silver nitrate sticks) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (silver nitrate sticks), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about silver nitrate topical
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: antiseptic and germicides
Other brands: Grafco Silver Nitrate