Generic Name: Silver Nitrate Sticks (SIL ver NYE trate)
Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
Uses of Silver Nitrate Sticks:
- It is used to get rid of warts.
- It is used to treat skin ulcers.
- It is used to treat mouth sores.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Silver Nitrate Sticks?
- If you have an allergy to silver nitrate or any other part of this medicine (silver nitrate sticks).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have broken skin or open wounds where the drug will be used.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (silver nitrate sticks).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (silver nitrate sticks) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Silver Nitrate Sticks?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (silver nitrate sticks). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Protect clothing and fabrics from staining.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If this medicine (silver nitrate sticks) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (silver nitrate sticks) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Silver Nitrate Sticks) best taken?
Use this medicine (silver nitrate sticks) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Keep out of your eyes.
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Put on the affected part as you have been told.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad irritation where this medicine (silver nitrate sticks) is used.
What are some other side effects of Silver Nitrate Sticks?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Change in color of skin.
- Irritation where this medicine (silver nitrate sticks) is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Silver Nitrate Sticks?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from light.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (silver nitrate sticks), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about silver nitrate topical
- Silver nitrate topical Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: antiseptic and germicides
Other brands: Grafco Silver Nitrate