Generic Name: Tolvaptan (Samsca) (tol VAP tan)
Brand Name: Samsca
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 20, 2019.
- Start and restart Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)) in a hospital setting where your sodium levels will be closely watched. Very bad and sometimes deadly effects may happen from fixing low sodium levels too fast. The chance is raised in people with poor nutrition, very bad liver disease, or alcohol addiction. Call your doctor right away if you have signs like trouble speaking or swallowing, feeling sleepy, confusion, mood changes, trouble controlling body movements, muscle weakness, and seizures.
- This form of Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)) is not for use to slow the progress of kidney problems. If you have questions, talk with your doctor.
Uses of Samsca:
- It is used to treat low sodium levels.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Samsca?
- If you have an allergy to tolvaptan or any other part of Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you cannot tell when you are thirsty or you are not able to drink normally.
- If you are dehydrated, talk with your doctor.
- If you have ever had liver problems.
- If you have trouble passing urine.
- If you are not able to pass urine.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)), like certain drugs that are used for HIV, infections, or depression. There are many drugs that must not be taken with Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)). Your doctor or pharmacist can tell you if you are taking a drug that must not be taken with Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)).
- If you have kidney problems.
- If you have a low sodium level that needs raised right away. Talk with your doctor.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Samsca?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use more than what your doctor told you to use. Do not use more often or longer than what you were told. Doing any of these things may raise the chance of very bad side effects.
- Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may affect how much of some other drugs are in your body. If you are taking other drugs, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while taking Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)) with your other drugs.
- If diarrhea happens or you are throwing up, call your doctor. You will need to drink more fluids to keep from losing too much fluid.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Samsca) best taken?
Use Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- You will need to avoid getting dehydrated while taking Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)). Drink lots of water to avoid getting thirsty. This includes drinking if you feel thirsty, drinking during the day, and drinking at night if you are awake unless your doctor says otherwise. If you are not sure how to avoid getting dehydrated, talk with your doctor.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you miss taking Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)) for a few days in a row, call your doctor before you start taking it again.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of fluid and electrolyte problems like mood changes, confusion, muscle pain or weakness, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, very bad dizziness or passing out, fast heartbeat, more thirst, seizures, feeling very tired or weak, not hungry, unable to pass urine or change in the amount of urine produced, dry mouth, dry eyes, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Weight loss.
- Trouble walking.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly liver problems have happened with Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)). Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Samsca?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- More thirst.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Dry mouth.
- Passing urine more often.
- Upset stomach.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Samsca?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)) is refilled. If you have any questions about Samsca (tolvaptan (samsca)), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Samsca (tolvaptan)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: vasopressin antagonists
- FDA Alerts (2)
- FDA Approval History
Other brands: Jynarque