Generic Name: trimethoprim (trye-METH-oh-prim)
Brand Name: Primsol
Primsol solution is used for:
Treating infections caused by certain bacteria.
Primsol solution is an antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use Primsol solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Primsol solution or to similar medicines
- you are taking dofetilide
- you have anemia caused by low levels of folate in the blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Primsol solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Primsol solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver or kidney problems, or blood problems (eg, anemia, porphyria)
- if you have or are at risk for low levels of folate in the blood (eg, you have alcoholism, are elderly, you do not absorb nutrients from food properly, you are in a poor nutritional state, you are taking medicine for seizures)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Primsol solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Dofetilide because risk of severe heart problems may be increased by Primsol solution
- Methotrexate, phenytoin, or sulfones (eg, dapsone) because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by Primsol solution
- Cyclosporine because its effectiveness may be decreased and risk of liver side effects may be increased by Primsol solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Primsol solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Primsol solution:
Use Primsol solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Primsol solution by mouth with or without food.
- Primsol solution works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Primsol solution for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Primsol solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Primsol solution.
Important safety information:
- Primsol solution may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Primsol solution. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Be sure to use Primsol solution for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Primsol solution only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Long-term or repeated use of Primsol solution may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Primsol solution may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Primsol solution.
- Lab tests, including complete blood cell counts, may be performed while you use Primsol solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Primsol solution with caution in ELDERLY patients; they may be more sensitive to the effects of Primsol solution.
- Primsol solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Use Primsol solution with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 10 years old who have diarrhea or an infection of the stomach or bowel.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Primsol solution while you are pregnant. Primsol solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Primsol solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Primsol solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Nausea; skin sensitivity to sunlight; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blistered, peeling, red, or swollen skin; bloody or black, tarry stools; chest pain; chills, fever, or sore throat; decreased urination; irregular heartbeat; joint or muscle pain; painful or stiff neck; purple patches under the skin; seizures; severe diarrhea; shortness of breath; stomach cramps/pain; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually pale skin; vaginal irritation or discharge; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; depression; dizziness; drowsiness; fever, chills, or sore throat; loss of consciousness; severe nausea or vomiting; severe or prolonged headache; unusual bruising or bleeding.Proper storage of Primsol solution:
Store Primsol solution at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep in a tight, light-resistant container. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Primsol solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Primsol solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Primsol solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Primsol solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Primsol solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Primsol solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Primsol solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Primsol (trimethoprim)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating