Omega-3-acid ethyl estersPronunciation
Generic Name: omega-3 fatty acids (oh-MAY-ga 3 FA-tee AS-ids)
Brand Name: Examples include Lovaza and Omtryg
Omega-3-acid ethyl esters is used for:
Treating patients who have very high triglyceride levels. It is used in addition to a low-fat diet.
Omega-3-acid ethyl esters is a lipid-regulating agent. Exactly how it works is not known. It may decrease the production of triglycerides in the liver.
Do NOT use omega-3-acid ethyl esters if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in omega-3-acid ethyl esters
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using omega-3-acid ethyl esters:
Some medical conditions may interact with omega-3-acid ethyl esters. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances, including fish, shellfish, or soy
- if you have a blood clotting problem
- if you have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), liver problems, pancreas problems, diabetes, or a certain type of irregular heartbeat (atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter)
- if you are taking a beta-blocker (eg, metoprolol), an estrogen, or a thiazide diuretic (eg, hydrochlorothiazide)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with omega-3-acid ethyl esters. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), antiplatelet medicines (eg, aspirin, clopidogrel), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen), or any other medicine that affects blood clotting because the risk of bleeding may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if omega-3-acid ethyl esters may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use omega-3-acid ethyl esters:
Use omega-3-acid ethyl esters as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions:
- An extra patient information leaflet is available with omega-3-acid ethyl esters. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Some medicines may need to be taken with food. For some medicines, it does not matter. Check with your pharmacist about how to take omega-3-acid ethyl esters.
- Swallow omega-3-acid ethyl esters whole. Do not break, open, crush, dissolve, or chew before swallowing. If you cannot swallow omega-3-acid ethyl esters whole, tell your doctor. You may need a different medicine.
- Omega-3-acid ethyl esters works best if it is taken at the same time(s) each day.
- Do NOT change your dose or stop taking omega-3-acid ethyl esters without talking to your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of omega-3-acid ethyl esters, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use omega-3-acid ethyl esters.
Important safety information:
- Follow the diet and exercise program given to you by your health care provider.
- Patients who have a certain type of irregular heartbeat (atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter) may have an increase in the frequency of the irregular heartbeat while taking omega-3-acid ethyl esters. This may happen especially within the first 2 to 3 months of starting omega-3-acid ethyl esters. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use omega-3-acid ethyl esters. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using omega-3-acid ethyl esters while you are pregnant. Omega-3-acid ethyl esters is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use omega-3-acid ethyl esters, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of omega-3-acid ethyl esters:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Burping; diarrhea; taste changes; upset stomach or mild stomach pain.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); irregular heartbeat; unusual bruising or bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of omega-3-acid ethyl esters:
Store omega-3-acid ethyl esters at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep omega-3-acid ethyl esters out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about omega-3-acid ethyl esters, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Omega-3-acid ethyl esters is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take omega-3-acid ethyl esters or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about omega-3-acid ethyl esters. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to omega-3-acid ethyl esters. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using omega-3-acid ethyl esters.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 26 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: nutraceutical products
- Krill Oil
- Folic acid/vitamin b6/vitamin b12/omega-3 fatty acids/biotin/chromium
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Omega-3-acid ethyl esters (Advanced Reading)
- More... (2)
- Omega-3-acid Ethyl Esters (AHFS Monograph)
- Omega-3-Acid Ethyl Esters (FDA)
- Fish Oils (Advanced Reading)