Generic Name: dasabuvir, ombitasvir, paritaprevir, and ritonavir (da-SA-bue-vir, om-BIT-as-vir, par-i-TA-pre-vir, and ri-TOE-na-vir)
Brand Name: Viekira Pak
Viekira Pak is used for:
Treating chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection in certain patients.
Viekira Pak is a combination of hepatitis C inhibitors and a medicine metabolism inhibitor. The hepatitis C inhibitors work by preventing the spread of the HCV within the body. The medicine metabolism inhibitor works by boosting the action of other hepatitis C medicines.
Do NOT use Viekira Pak if:
- you are allergic to dasabuvir, ombitasvir, paritaprevir, or ritonavir
- you have moderate to severe liver problems
- you have had a severe skin reaction after taking ritonavir
- you are taking a medicine that contains ethinyl estradiol (eg, certain birth control pills)
- you are taking sildenafil to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH)
- you are taking alfuzosin, carbamazepine, dihydroergotamine, efavirenz, ergonovine, ergotamine, gemfibrozil, lovastatin, methylergonovine, oral midazolam, phenobarbital, phenytoin, pimozide, rifampin, simvastatin, St. John's wort, or triazolam
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Viekira Pak:
Some medical conditions may interact with Viekira Pak. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have HIV infection
- if you have other liver problems (eg, cirrhosis, hepatitis B infection)
- if you have had a liver transplant
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with dasabuvir, ombitasvir, paritaprevir, and ritonavir. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Many prescription and nonprescription medicines (eg, used for anxiety or other mental or mood problems, birth control, drug or other substance abuse or dependence, enlarged prostate, erectile dysfunction, fluid retention, heartburn or other stomach problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, HIV, hormone replacement therapy, immune system suppression, infections, irregular heartbeat or other heart problems, lung or breathing problems, migraines or other types of headaches, PAH, seizures, sleep problems, Tourette's disorder), multivitamin products, or herbal or dietary supplements because they may interact with dasabuvir, ombitasvir, paritaprevir, and ritonavir. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure if any of your medicines might interact with dasabuvir, ombitasvir, paritaprevir, and ritonavir.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Viekira Pak may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Viekira Pak:
Use Viekira Pak as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Viekira Pak comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Viekira Pak refilled.
- Viekira Pak may be taken with ribavirin, which come with its own Medication Guide. If you are also taking ribavirin, be sure to read the Medication Guide each time you get it filled.
- Take Viekira Pak by mouth with a meal.
- If you miss a dose of the ombitasvir, paritaprevir, and ritonavir tablet: Take it as soon as possible. If it has been more than 12 hours since your normal dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
- If you miss a dose of the dasabuvir tablet: Take it as soon as possible. If it has been more than 6 hours since your normal dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Viekira Pak.
Important safety information:
- Medicines that contain ethinyl estradiol (eg, certain birth control pills) must not be used while taking Viekira Pak. If you use a birth control that contains ethinyl estradiol, you will need to use a different type of birth control (eg, progestin-only birth control, condoms) while taking Viekira Pak and for about 2 weeks after you stop taking it. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- A severe skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause severe health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have symptoms like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- Viekira Pak may be used with ribavirin. If you are also taking ribavirin, talk with your doctor about the risks and side effects that may happen.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use Viekira Pak. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Viekira Pak while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Viekira Pak, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Viekira Pak:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Itching; nausea; tiredness; trouble sleeping; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); skin reactions; symptoms of liver problems (eg, dark urine; pale stools; persistent loss of appetite; right-sided stomach pain; unusual nausea, vomiting, tiredness, or weakness; yellowing of the skin or eyes).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Viekira Pak:
Store Viekira Pak at room temperature, below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Viekira Pak out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Viekira Pak, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Viekira Pak is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Viekira Pak or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Viekira Pak. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Viekira Pak. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Viekira Pak.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about dasabuvir/ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 8 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antiviral combinations
- Dasabuvir, ombitasvir, paritaprevir, and ritonavir
- Dasabuvir, ombitasvir, paritaprevir, and ritonavir (Advanced Reading)
- Ombitasvir, paritaprevir, ritonavir and dasabuvir (Advanced Reading)
- Ombitasvir, Paritaprevir, and Ritonavir with Dasabuvir Sodium (AHFS Monograph)
- Ombitasvir, Paritaprevir, Ritonavir, and Dasabuvir (Wolters Kluwer)