The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: nystatin/triamcinolone (nye-STAT-in/trye-am-SIN-oh-lone)
Brand Name: Examples include Mycolog II and Mycogen II
Mycogen II is used for:
Treating or preventing fungal infections of the skin.
Mycogen II is an antifungal and steroid combination. It works by stopping fungus growth and reducing inflammation.
Do NOT use Mycogen II if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Mycogen II
- you are taking mifepristone
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Mycogen II:
Some medical conditions may interact with Mycogen II. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have measles, had a positive skin tuberculin skin test, tuberculosis (TB), chickenpox, shingles, or wasting of the skin (skin atrophy)
- if you have had a vaccination with an inactivated or live vaccine
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Mycogen II. Because little, if any, of Mycogen II is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Mycogen II may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Mycogen II:
Use Mycogen II as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To prevent reinfection, wash your hands thoroughly before and after using Mycogen II.
- Wash and completely dry the affected area. Gently rub the medicine in until it is evenly distributed. Do not bandage, cover, or wrap the treated skin unless directed to do so by your doctor.
- Mycogen II works best if used at the same time each day.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Mycogen II for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Mycogen II is for external use only. Do not get it your eyes.
- If you miss a dose of Mycogen II, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Mycogen II.
Important safety information:
- If Mycogen II is to be applied to the groin area, apply sparingly and wear loose-fitting clothing. If Mycogen II is to be applied to skin covered by a diaper, do not use tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants.
- Mycogen II should not be used if irritation occurs or if symptoms worsen or have not improved within 25 days of use.
- Mycogen II should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Mycogen II while you are pregnant. It is unknown if Mycogen II is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Mycogen II, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Mycogen II:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Acne; burning; cracking and stinging of the skin; dryness; excessive hair growth; inflamed skin around the mouth; inflammation of hair follicles; irritation; itching; loss of skin color; secondary infection; skin wasting; streaking of skin.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Mycogen II may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Mycogen II:
Store Mycogen II at controlled room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Keep Mycogen II out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Mycogen II, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Mycogen II is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Mycogen II or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Mycogen II. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Mycogen II. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Mycogen II.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.