Generic name: Sodium Hypochlorite (SOW dee um hye poe KLOR ite)
Brand name: Anasept, Anasept Antimicrobial, Anasept, Avenova, Di-Dak-Sol, ...show all 11 brand names.Epicyn, H-Chlor 12, H-Chlor 6, H-Chlor Wound, Hyclodex, HySept
Drug class: Antiseptic and germicides
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 21, 2020.
Uses of H-Chlor 12:
- It is used to clean wounds.
- It is used to treat skin ulcers.
- It is used to avoid or treat skin infections.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take H-Chlor 12?
- If you have an allergy to sodium hypochlorite solution or any other part of H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite).
- If you are allergic to H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite); any part of H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take H-Chlor 12?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Use care when putting on. It may bleach hair or colored fabric.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (H-Chlor 12) best taken?
Use H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Put on the affected part as you have been told.
- Some products may be used around or near the eyes. If used this way, take off any makeup or lotion around your eyes before using H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite) on a regular basis, use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad irritation where H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite) is used.
What are some other side effects of H-Chlor 12?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation where H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite) is used.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out H-Chlor 12?
- Store in the original container at room temperature.
- Do not freeze.
- Protect from heat and sunlight.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about H-Chlor 12 (sodium hypochlorite), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about sodium hypochlorite topical
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.