Generic Name: alpha-1 proteinase inhibitor (human) (AL-fa PROE-teen-ase in-HIB-i-ter)
Brand Name: Glassia
Glassia solution is used for:
Treating emphysema caused by alpha-1 proteinase inhibitor deficiency (also known as alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency).
Glassia solution is an alpha-1 protease inhibitor. It works by blocking substances in the lungs that break down lung tissue and sometimes causes emphysema.
Do NOT use Glassia solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Glassia solution or other alpha-1 protease inhibitor products
- you have an immunoglobulin A (IgA) deficiency with antibodies against IgA
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Glassia solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Glassia solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Glassia solution. However, no specific interactions with Glassia solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Glassia solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Glassia solution:
Use Glassia solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Glassia solution is administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- Do not miss any doses. If you miss a dose of Glassia solution, contact your doctor.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Glassia solution.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Glassia solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Glassia solution contains albumin, which comes from human blood. There is a very rare risk of getting a viral disease or a central nervous system disease called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease from products with albumin. No cases of these problems have been found in patients who have used Glassia solution.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Glassia solution can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Glassia solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Glassia solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Glassia solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; headache; joint swelling; pain, swelling, or redness at the injection site; sluggishness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest tightness or discomfort; dark urine; fainting; new or worsening lung or breathing problems or cough; severe or persistent headache or dizziness; shortness of breath; stomach pain; symptoms of infection (eg, fever, chills, muscle aches, sore throat); unusual bruising or bleeding; wheezing; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Glassia solution:
Glassia solution is handled and stored by a health care provider. You will not store it at home. Keep all medicines, as well as needles and syringes, out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Glassia solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Glassia solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Glassia solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Glassia solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Glassia solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Glassia solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Glassia (alpha 1-proteinase inhibitor)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating