Chlophedianol/ guaifenesin/ pseudoephedrine liquid
Generic Name: chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine (KLOE-fe-DYE-a-nol/gwye-FEN-e-sin/SOO-doe-e-FED-rin)
Brand Name: VanaCof DX
Chlophedianol/ guaifenesin/ pseudoephedrine liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of nasal congestion, cough, and throat and airway irritation caused by colds, hay fever, or other upper respiratory allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid is a decongestant, cough suppressant, and expectorant combination. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The expectorant works by loosening mucus and thinning lung secretions in the chest, making coughs more productive. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex.
Do NOT use chlophedianol/ guaifenesin/ pseudoephedrine liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid
- you have severe or uncontrolled high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, or other severe heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel disease)
- you take droxidopa or have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using chlophedianol/ guaifenesin/ pseudoephedrine liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye, enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems, heart problems (eg, fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; heart disease), diabetes, high blood pressure, blood vessel problems, adrenal gland problems (eg, pheochromocytoma), mental or mood problems (eg, depression), thyroid problems, seizures, stroke, or trouble sleeping
- if you have a history or asthma or other breathing problems, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), sleep apnea, or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you are in poor health or are very overweight
- if you take medicines for high blood pressure or depression
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), furazolidone, linezolid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline), or urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate) because they may increase the risk of chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid's side effects
- Bromocriptine because the risk of its side effects may be increased by chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, medicines for high blood pressure, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use chlophedianol/ guaifenesin/ pseudoephedrine liquid:
Use chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Take chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid with a full glass of water (8 oz [240 mL]).
- Drink plenty of water while taking chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid.
- If you miss a dose of chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid.
Important safety information:
- Chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are taking chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take appetite suppressants while you are taking chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a decongestant, cough suppressant, or an expectorant in it. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If new symptoms occur, or if cough or nasal congestion persists for more than 1 week, goes away and comes back, or is accompanied by a fever, rash, or persistent headache, contact your health care provider. These could be signs of a serious condition.
- If cough persists for more than 1 week or is accompanied by a fever, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Do not use chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure that your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid.
Possible side effects of chlophedianol/ guaifenesin/ pseudoephedrine liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; irritability; nausea; stomach upset; trouble sleeping.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; hallucinations; mental or mood changes (eg, anxiety, nervousness); paleness; persistent trouble sleeping; restlessness; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness, drowsiness, light-headedness, or headache; tremor.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; difficulty urinating; fast or shallow breathing; hallucinations; paleness; restlessness; seizures; severe dizziness, light-headedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; tremor; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid:
Store chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about chlophedianol/guaifenesin/pseudoephedrine
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations