Generic Name: cefuroxime (SEF-ue-ROX-eem)
Brand Name: Ceftin
Ceftin suspension is used for:
Treating bacterial infections of the ear and throat. It may also be used to treat impetigo (skin infection).
Ceftin suspension is a cephalosporin antibiotic. It works by interfering with the formation of the bacteria's cell wall so that the wall ruptures, resulting in the death of the bacteria.
Do NOT use Ceftin suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ceftin suspension or to any other cephalosporin antibiotic (eg, cephalexin, cefprozil)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ceftin suspension:
Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diarrhea, a stomach or intestinal infection, phenylketonuria (PKU), or a blood clotting problem
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to a penicillin antibiotic (eg, amoxicillin) or other beta-lactam antibiotic (eg, imipenem)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ceftin suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aminoglycosides (eg, gentamicin), cyclosporine, diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide), or other medicines affecting the kidney because side effects, such as kidney toxicity, may occur
- Hormonal contraceptives (eg, birth control pills) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Ceftin suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ceftin suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ceftin suspension:
Use Ceftin suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Ceftin suspension by mouth with food.
- Shake well before each use.
- Ceftin suspension works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Ceftin suspension for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Ceftin suspension, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose, and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ceftin suspension.
Important safety information:
- Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur during treatment or within several months after treatment with Ceftin suspension. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- The tablet and oral suspension forms of Ceftin suspension are not equivalent. Do not substitute one for the other.
- Ceftin suspension only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use Ceftin suspension for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Ceftin suspension may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Diabetes patients - Ceftin suspension may cause the results of some tests for urine glucose to be wrong. Ask your doctor before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Phenylketonuria patients - Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Ceftin suspension. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Ceftin suspension should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 3 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ceftin suspension while you are pregnant. Ceftin suspension is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Ceftin suspension.
Possible side effects of Ceftin suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; headache; loose stools; nausea; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; change in the amount of urine; dark urine; easy bruising or bleeding; fatigue; fever; seizures; severe diarrhea; stomach cramps/pain; vaginal irritation or discharge; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include seizures.Proper storage of Ceftin suspension:
Store medicine in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C), for up to 10 days. Keep the container tightly closed. Throw away any unused portion after 10 days. Keep Ceftin suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ceftin suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ceftin suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Ceftin suspension or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Ceftin suspension. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Ceftin suspension. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Ceftin suspension.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Ceftin (cefuroxime)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 30 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
Other brands: Zinacef