Generic Name: calcitonin-salmon (KAL-si-TOE-nin SA-mon)
Brand Name: Examples include Fortical and Miacalcin
Calcitonin-salmon spray is used for:
Treating osteoporosis (fragile or brittle bones) in certain women who have been past menopause for more than 5 years. It should be used along with adequate calcium and vitamin D intake. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Calcitonin-salmon spray is a polypeptide hormone. It works by stopping bone loss and increasing the density or strength of bone.
Do NOT use calcitonin-salmon spray if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in calcitonin-salmon spray
- you have untreated low blood calcium levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using calcitonin-salmon spray:
Some medical conditions may interact with calcitonin-salmon spray. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have low blood vitamin D levels
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with calcitonin-salmon spray. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Lithium because its effectiveness may be decreased by calcitonin-salmon spray
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if calcitonin-salmon spray may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use calcitonin-salmon spray:
Use calcitonin-salmon spray as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with calcitonin-salmon spray. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Before priming the pump and using a new bottle, allow the medicine to reach room temperature.
- The pump must be primed before the first use of each new bottle. To prime the pump, hold the bottle upright and press the 2 white side arms toward the bottle until a faint spray is seen. Only prime the pump before the first use of a new bottle.
- Use calcitonin-salmon spray in only 1 nostril each day. Alternate nostrils every day.
- To use calcitonin-salmon spray, hold your head in the upright position. Place the nozzle of the pump into the nostril and press the pump firmly towards the bottle. It is not necessary to inhale while spraying calcitonin-salmon spray.
- Keep track of how many doses you use from the bottle. Do not use more than 30 doses from one bottle, even if the bottle does not appear to be empty. After 30 doses, the pump may not deliver the correct amount of medicine with each spray.
- If you miss a dose of calcitonin-salmon spray, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use calcitonin-salmon spray.
Important safety information:
- Some people have had an allergic reaction when using calcitonin-salmon spray. Some reactions may be serious and can be life threatening. Get medical help right away if you have trouble breathing; swelling of the face, throat, or tongue; chest pain; fast heartbeat; dizziness; or fainting.
- Follow the diet program given to you by your health care provider. Calcitonin-salmon spray works better if used along with calcium and vitamin D. Ask your doctor about appropriate calcium and vitamin D supplements.
- Calcitonin-salmon spray may infrequently cause flushing. Check with your doctor if you develop flushing that is persistent or severe.
- This drug may add to your chance of getting some types of cancer. Talk with your doctor.
- LAB TESTS, including urine tests and nasal examinations, may be performed while you use calcitonin-salmon spray. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use calcitonin-salmon spray with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially runny nose or nasal irritation or redness.
- Calcitonin-salmon spray should not be used in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using calcitonin-salmon spray while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use calcitonin-salmon spray, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of calcitonin-salmon spray:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Back or joint pain; headache; runny nose.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); nasal irritation, soreness, or pain; nosebleeds; sores in nose; symptoms of low calcium levels (eg, muscle cramps or spasms, numbness and tingling, seizures).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of calcitonin-salmon spray:
Store new, unassembled nasal spray bottles in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Protect from freezing. Store bottles that are in use at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in an upright position. Read the extra patient leaflet or ask your pharmacist to find out how long you can use this medicine after it has been opened. Keep calcitonin-salmon spray out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about calcitonin-salmon spray, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Calcitonin-salmon spray is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take calcitonin-salmon spray or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about calcitonin-salmon spray. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to calcitonin-salmon spray. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using calcitonin-salmon spray.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about calcitonin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 5 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Calcitonin injection
- Calcitonin nasal
- Calcitonin Injection (Advanced Reading)
- Calcitonin Nasal (Advanced Reading)