Generic Name: Doxycycline Tablets, Salicylic Acid Wash, and Sunscreen Lotion Kit (DOX i SYE kleen & SAL i SIL ik AS id)
Brand Name: Avidoxy DK
Uses of Avidoxy DK:
- It is used to treat pimples (acne).
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Avidoxy DK?
- If you have an allergy to doxycycline, salicylic acid, or any other part of Avidoxy DK (doxycycline tablets, salicylic acid wash, and sunscreen lotion kit).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Acitretin, isotretinoin, or a penicillin.
- If you have any of these health problems: High blood sugar (diabetes) or poor blood flow.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Avidoxy DK with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Avidoxy DK?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have your blood work checked if you are on Avidoxy DK for a long time. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab workers know you use this medicine.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- You may get sunburned more easily. Avoid sun, sunlamps, and tanning beds. Use sunscreen and wear clothing and eyewear that protects you from the sun.
- Birth control pills and other hormone-based birth control may not work as well to prevent pregnancy. Use some other kind of birth control also like a condom when taking Avidoxy DK.
- This medicine may cause a change in tooth color to yellow-gray-brown in children younger than 8 years old. If this change of tooth color happens, it will not go away. Talk with the doctor.
- Most of the time, this medicine is not for use in children younger than 8 years old. However, there may be times when these children may need to take Avidoxy DK. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking this medicine, call your doctor right away.
All skin products:
- Certain acne products that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid can rarely cause very bad and sometimes life-threatening allergic reactions or very bad irritation. Before first use, you may need to follow certain steps to make sure you do not have an allergic reaction. Use Avidoxy DK as you were told by the doctor or read the package label. Talk with the doctor.
- Use care when putting on a large part of the skin or where there are open wounds. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not put on irritated skin.
- Do not use this medicine on birthmarks, moles, or warts with hair growth; or cervical, genital, or oral warts.
- If you use Avidoxy DK too often, your skin problem may become worse.
- Use of other skin products while using this medicine may cause more irritation.
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs or products on your skin.
- Do not give to children and teenagers who have or are getting better from flu signs, chickenpox, or other viral infections due to the chance of Reye's syndrome. Reye's syndrome causes very bad problems to the brain and liver.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Avidoxy DK (doxycycline tablets, salicylic acid wash, and sunscreen lotion kit) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Avidoxy DK) best taken?
Use this medicine as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep using Avidoxy DK as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Do not take bismuth (Pepto-Bismol®), calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, multivitamins with minerals, colestipol, cholestyramine, didanosine, or antacids within 2 hours of this medicine.
- Take with a full glass of water.
- Do not lie down for at least 30 minutes after taking Avidoxy DK.
All skin products:
- Do not take this medicine by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, ears, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Put a thin layer on the affected skin and rub in gently.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Chest pain.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- Fever or chills.
- Sore throat.
- Throat irritation.
- Trouble swallowing.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Joint pain.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Vaginal itching or discharge.
- Very bad skin irritation.
- Mood changes.
- Fast breathing.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Ringing in ears.
- Hearing loss.
- Very bad dizziness.
- It is common to have diarrhea when taking Avidoxy DK. Rarely, a very bad form of diarrhea called Clostridium difficile (C diff)–associated diarrhea (CDAD) may occur. Sometimes, this has led to a deadly bowel problem (colitis). CDAD may happen while you are taking this medicine or within a few months after you stop taking it. Call your doctor right away if you have stomach pain or cramps, very loose or watery stools, or bloody stools. Do not try to treat loose stools without first checking with your doctor.
- Raised pressure in the brain has happened with Avidoxy DK. Most of the time, this will go back to normal after this medicine is stopped. Sometimes, loss of eyesight may happen and may not go away even after Avidoxy DK is stopped. Call your doctor right away if you have a headache or eyesight problems like blurred eyesight, seeing double, or loss of eyesight.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Avidoxy DK?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Not hungry.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Dry skin.
- Skin irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Avidoxy DK?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Protect from heat.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
- Do not take this medicine if it is outdated.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Avidoxy DK, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Avidoxy DK (doxycycline tablets, salicylic acid wash, and sunscreen lotion kit). It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Avidoxy DK.
Review Date: November 1, 2017