Aminobenzoate potassium capsules
Generic Name: aminobenzoate potassium (ah-mee-noe-BEN-zoe-ate poe-TASS-ee-um)
Brand Name: Potaba
Aminobenzoate potassium capsules are used for:
Treating certain skin conditions and muscle/skin conditions (dermatomyositis). It may also be used for certain problems with the penis (Peyronie disease) or other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Aminobenzoate potassium capsules are an antifibrotic in the vitamin B family. It works by increasing the oxygen supply in tissues, which helps prevent the formation of fibrous tissue.
Do NOT use aminobenzoate potassium capsules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in aminobenzoate potassium capsules
- you are taking a sulfonamide medicine (eg, sulfamethoxazole)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using aminobenzoate potassium capsules:
Some medical conditions may interact with aminobenzoate potassium capsules. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, low blood sugar, or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with aminobenzoate potassium capsules. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Sulfonamides (eg, sulfamethoxazole) because effectiveness may be decreased by aminobenzoate potassium capsules
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if aminobenzoate potassium capsules may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use aminobenzoate potassium capsules:
Use aminobenzoate potassium capsules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take aminobenzoate potassium capsules with meals or snacks.
- Aminobenzoate potassium capsules comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get aminobenzoate potassium capsules refilled.
- Take aminobenzoate potassium capsules with a full glass (8 oz/240 mL) of water.
- If you miss a dose of aminobenzoate potassium capsules, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use aminobenzoate potassium capsules.
Important safety information:
- Aminobenzoate potassium capsules may cause loss of appetite or nausea. If you do not eat properly because of these side effects, you may develop low blood sugar (eg, increased heartbeat, increased hunger, weakness, chills, sweating). Contact your doctor if you experience loss of appetite or nausea.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking aminobenzoate potassium capsules, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using aminobenzoate potassium capsules during pregnancy. It is unknown if aminobenzoate potassium capsules are excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using aminobenzoate potassium capsules, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of aminobenzoate potassium capsules:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fever; loss of appetite; nausea.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fever, chills, or sore throat; inflammation of the skin; severe or persistent nausea; vomiting; yellowing of the eyes or skin.Proper storage of aminobenzoate potassium capsules:
Store aminobenzoate potassium capsules at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep aminobenzoate potassium capsules out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about aminobenzoate potassium capsules, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Aminobenzoate potassium capsules are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take aminobenzoate potassium capsules or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about aminobenzoate potassium capsules. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to aminobenzoate potassium capsules. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using aminobenzoate potassium capsules.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about potassium aminobenzoate
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: oral nutritional supplements
- Aminobenzoate potassium
- Aminobenzoate potassium powder
- Potassium aminobenzoate
- Aminobenzoate potassium (Advanced Reading)
Other brands: Potaba