Generic Name: palonosetron (PAL-oh-NOE-se-tron)
Brand Name: Aloxi
Aloxi capsules are used for:
Preventing nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Aloxi capsules are 5-HT3 receptor blocker. It works by blocking the action of serotonin in certain parts of the brain and nervous system, which helps reduce or prevent nausea and vomiting.
Do NOT use Aloxi capsules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Aloxi capsules
- you are taking apomorphine
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Aloxi capsules:
Some medical conditions may interact with Aloxi capsules. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are allergic to other 5-HT3 receptor antagonists (eg, ondansetron)
- if you have a history of heart problems (eg, irregular heartbeat, prolonged QT), an abnormal heart function test (eg, electrocardiogram [ECG]), or low blood levels of potassium or magnesium
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Aloxi capsules. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Apomorphine because side effects such as severely low blood pressure or loss of consciousness may occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Aloxi capsules may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Aloxi capsules:
Use Aloxi capsules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Aloxi capsules. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Aloxi capsules by mouth with or without food.
- If you miss a dose of Aloxi capsules, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Aloxi capsules.
Important safety information:
- Aloxi capsules may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Aloxi capsules with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Aloxi capsules should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Aloxi capsules while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while you are using Aloxi capsules.
Possible side effects of Aloxi capsules:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; headache; tiredness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; trouble urinating; unusual muscle movement.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Aloxi capsules:
Store Aloxi capsules at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Aloxi capsules out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Aloxi capsules, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Aloxi capsules are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Aloxi capsules. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Aloxi (palonosetron)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: 5HT3 receptor antagonists