Acetic acid solution
Generic Name: acetic acid (a-SEE-tik)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Acetic acid solution is used for:
Treating mild ear infections.
Acetic acid solution is an antibacterial. It works by lowering the pH in the ear canal, preventing certain bacteria from growing.
Do NOT use acetic acid solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in acetic acid solution
- you have a perforated or ruptured eardrum
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using acetic acid solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with acetic acid solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, if you become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with acetic acid solution. Because little, if any, of acetic acid solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if acetic acid solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use acetic acid solution:
Use acetic acid solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Acetic acid solution is for use in the ear only. Avoid contact with the eyes, nose, or mouth.
- To use ear drops, lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for several minutes so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. A clean cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out. To prevent germs from entering the medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you miss a dose of acetic acid solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use acetic acid solution.
Important safety information:
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell your doctor or dentist that you are using acetic acid solution.
Possible side effects of acetic acid solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Burning; itching; stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); irritation; sensitivity.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of acetic acid solution:
Store below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C) in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep acetic acid solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about acetic acid solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acetic acid solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take acetic acid solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about acetic acid solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to acetic acid solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using acetic acid solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about acetic acid otic
- Side Effects
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: otic anti-infectives
Other brands: Vosol