Trimipramine use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Trimipramine: Surmontil
Trimipramine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
If trimipramine is required by the mother, it is not a reason to discontinue breastfeeding. Because of the lack of data on use during breastfeeding, other antidepressants are preferred during breastfeeding, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Published information on trimipramine was not found as of the revision date. Follow-up for 1 to 3 years in a group of 20 breastfed infants whose mothers were taking a tricyclic antidepressant found no adverse effects on growth and development. Two small controlled studies indicate that other tricyclic antidepressants have no adverse effect on infant development. In another study, 25 infants whose mothers took a tricyclic antidepressant during pregnancy and lactation were tested formally between 15 to 71 months and found to have normal growth and development. However, none of the mothers in any of these studies took trimipramine.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Trimipramine increases serum prolactin levels and has caused at least one case of galactorrhea. The maternal prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Misri S, Sivertz K. Tricyclic drugs in pregnancy and lactation: a preliminary report. Int J Psychiatry Med. 1991;21:157-71. PMID: 1894455
2. Buist A, Janson H. Effect of exposure to dothiepin and northiaden in breast milk on child development. Br J Psychiatry. 1995;167:370-3. PMID: 7496646
3. Yoshida K, Smith B, Craggs M et al. Investigation of pharmacokinetics and possible adverse effects in infants exposed to tricyclic antidepressants in breast-milk. J Affective Disord. 1997;43:225-37. PMID: 9186793
4. Nulman I, Rovet J, Stewart DE et al. Child development following exposure to tricyclic antidepressants or fluoxetine throughout fetal life: a prospective, controlled study. Am J Psychiatry. 2002;159:1889-95. PMID: 12411224
5. Wiegand M, Berger M. Action of trimipramine on sleep and pituitary hormone secretion. Drugs. 1989;38 (Suppl 1):35-42. PMID: 2612388
6. Wolfsperger M, Greil W. Galactorrhea during treatment with trimipramine. A case report. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2005;38:326-7. PMID: 16342006
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about trimipramine
- Other brands: Surmontil