Reserpine use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Reserpine: Diuretic Ap-Es, Diupres-500, Hydropres-50, Hydro-Reserp, Hydroserpine, Hydroserpine 1, Hydropres-25, Hydroserp, Salutensin-Demi, Metatensin 4, Show all 27 »Metatensin 2, Renese-R, Diutensen-R, Salutensin, Serpex, Ser-Ap-Es, Serpazide, Regroton, Demi-Regroton, Diupres-250, Uni Serp, Tri-Hydroserpine, Unipres, Serathide, Hydrap-ES, Marpres, HHR
Reserpine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Because no information is available on the use of reserpine during breastfeeding and it might adversely affect the breastfed infant, an alternate drug may be preferred, especially while nursing a newborn or preterm infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Although not well documented, reserpine is said to cause nasal stuffiness and increased tracheobronchial secretions in breastfed infants.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Reserpine has reportedly caused galactorrhea and has been used to increase breastmilk production, although it is obsolete for this use.
Alternate Drugs to Consider
1. Knowles JA. Drugs in milk. Pediatr Currents. Ross Laboratories. 1972;21:28-32.
2. Vaidya RA, Vaidya AB, Van Woert MH et al. Galactorrhea and Parkinson-like syndrome: an adverse effect of alpha-methyldopa. Metabolism. 1970;19(12):1068-70. PMID: 4923681
3. Mazhbits IA. [Use of reserpine as a lactogenic substance]. Akush Ginekol (Mosk). 1970;46(1):70-2. PMID: 5433043
4. Somlyo AP, Wayde JD. Abnormal lactation. Report of a case induced by reserpine and a brief review of the subject. J Mt Sinai Hosp N Y. 1960;27(Jan-Feb):5-9. PMID: 13832752
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about reserpine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antiadrenergic agents, peripherally acting