Echothiophate use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Echothiophate: Phospholine Iodide
Echothiophate Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
No information is available on the use of echothiophate ophthalmic drops during breastfeeding. Because echothiophate is a quaternary ammonium compound, it is not likely to pass into the breastmilk or reach the bloodstream of the infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information in nursing mothers was not found as of the revision date. In animals, cholinergic drugs increase oxytocin release, and have variable effects on serum prolactin. The prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.
1. Johnson SM, Martinez M, Freedman S. Management of glaucoma in pregnancy and lactation. Surv Ophthalmol. 2001;45:449-54. PMID: 11274697
2. Clarke G, Fall CH, Lincoln DW, Merrick LP. Effects of cholinoceptor antagonists on the suckling-induced and experimentally evoked release of oxytocin. Br J Pharmacol. 1978;63:519-27. PMID: 566601
3. Muller EE, Locatelli V, Cella S et al. Prolactin-lowering and -releasing drugs: mechanisms of action and therapeutic applications. Drugs. 1983;25:399-432. PMID: 6133737
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about echothiophate iodide ophthalmic
- Side Effects
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: ophthalmic glaucoma agents
Other brands: Phospholine Iodide